• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

disable airbag on a '98

John D

NAXJA Member # 788
I know this has been covered on here, I never have good results with the search. Anyway my Haynes manual covers what looks like an earlier model (disables through the steering column) but my 98 isn't like that. Someone said once to just disconnect the battery and let it sit a while. Is that all there is. Why would you have to set the disable pin on the earlier model and not on a later one.

By the way, I'm changing the clockspring assy.

Thanks,
John

What you want to do is let any residual charge drain from the system before fooling with the airbag assembly. When you remove it take it out of the vehicle and place it face up on a flat clean surface, if it does pop you don't want it driving it's mounting plate into something like your face or arms. The FSM has a step by step procedure w/drawings :D and the airbag warning covers about 2 paragraphs in every section that deals with 'your are sitting in the drivers seat fixing something'... Eithe they are really paranoid about that airbag or they know what they are talking about. I've seen less safety warnings on claymore mines..

RichP said:
I've seen less safety warnings on claymore mines..
I'm pretty sure that people using mines are pretty aware of the dangers! :skull1: :nono: :spin1:

A friend of a friend was recently in an accident that triggered her airbag. She looked like she was standing in front of a claymore when it went off.

AIRBAG MODULE
WARNING:
· THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
· WHEN REMOVING A DEPLOYED AIRBAG MODULE, RUBBER GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION, AND A LONG-SLEEVED SHIRT SHOULD BE WORN. THERE MAY BE DEPOSITS ON THE AIRBAG MODULE AND OTHER INTERIOR SURFACES. IN LARGE DOSES, THESE DEPOSITS MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO THE SKIN AND EYES.

DRIVER SIDE
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If the airbag module has not been deployed, wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
From the underside of the steering wheel, remove the two screws that secure the driver side airbag module to the steering wheel Driver Side Airbag Module Remove/Install
Pull the airbag module away from the steering wheel far enough to access the wire harness connectors on the back of the airbag module.
Unplug the airbag module and horn switch wire harness connectors from the back of the airbag module.
Remove the driver side airbag module from the vehicle.
If the airbag has been deployed, see the procedure for replacing the clockspring in this group.
When installing the airbag module, connect the clockspring wire harness connector to the module by pressing straight in on the connector. Be certain that the connector is fully engaged by observing the latching clip arms on the top of the connector.
Install the two airbag module mounting screws and tighten to 10.2 N·m (90 in. lbs.)
Do not connect the battery negative cable at this time. See Airbag System in Diagnosis and Testing for the proper procedures.
PASSENGER SIDE
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If the airbag module has not been deployed, wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
Remove the instrument panel top cover. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
Unplug the passenger side airbag module wire harness connector located on the top of the instrument panel between the airbag module and the windshield Passenger Side Airbag Connector Remove/Install
Disengage the passenger side airbag module wire harness connector retainer from the hole on the top of the instrument panel.
Remove the four screws that secure the upper flange of the passenger side airbag door to the instrument panel Passenger Side Airbag Module Remove/Install
Remove the two screws that secure the upper airbag module mounting brackets to the top of the instrument panel.
Open the glove box door and remove the two glove box door stop bumpers by sliding them down towards the glove box bin and out of their slotted holes in the instrument panel. Roll the glove box door down to its fully opened position.
Remove the four screws that secure the lower flange of the passenger side airbag door to the instrument panel near the upper edge of the glove box opening.
Reach through the glove box opening and up to remove the two screws that secure the lower airbag module mounting brackets to the instrument panel.
Remove the passenger side airbag module and airbag door from the instrument panel as a unit.
Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the hardware as follows:
Airbag module mounting bracket screws - 11.8 N·m (105 in. lbs.)
Airbag door mounting screws - 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
Before reinstalling the instrument panel top cover, be certain that the airbag module wire harness connector latches are fully engaged.
Do not connect the battery negative cable at this time. See Airbag System in Diagnosis and Testing for the proper procedures.

muddyjeep1997 said:
AIRBAG MODULE
WARNING:
· THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.
· WHEN REMOVING A DEPLOYED AIRBAG MODULE, RUBBER GLOVES, EYE PROTECTION, AND A LONG-SLEEVED SHIRT SHOULD BE WORN. THERE MAY BE DEPOSITS ON THE AIRBAG MODULE AND OTHER INTERIOR SURFACES. IN LARGE DOSES, THESE DEPOSITS MAY CAUSE IRRITATION TO THE SKIN AND EYES.

DRIVER SIDE
From the underside of the steering wheel, remove the two screws that secure the driver side airbag module to the steering wheel Driver Side Airbag Module Remove/Install
Pull the airbag module away from the steering wheel far enough to access the wire harness connectors on the back of the airbag module.
Unplug the airbag module and horn switch wire harness connectors from the back of the airbag module.
Remove the driver side airbag module from the vehicle.
If the airbag has been deployed, see the procedure for replacing the clockspring in this group.
When installing the airbag module, connect the clockspring wire harness connector to the module by pressing straight in on the connector. Be certain that the connector is fully engaged by observing the latching clip arms on the top of the connector.
Install the two airbag module mounting screws and tighten to 10.2 N·m (90 in. lbs.)
PASSENGER SIDE
Remove the instrument panel top cover. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
Unplug the passenger side airbag module wire harness connector located on the top of the instrument panel between the airbag module and the windshield Passenger Side Airbag Connector Remove/Install
Disengage the passenger side airbag module wire harness connector retainer from the hole on the top of the instrument panel.
Remove the four screws that secure the upper flange of the passenger side airbag door to the instrument panel Passenger Side Airbag Module Remove/Install
Remove the two screws that secure the upper airbag module mounting brackets to the top of the instrument panel.
Open the glove box door and remove the two glove box door stop bumpers by sliding them down towards the glove box bin and out of their slotted holes in the instrument panel. Roll the glove box door down to its fully opened position.
Remove the four screws that secure the lower flange of the passenger side airbag door to the instrument panel near the upper edge of the glove box opening.
Reach through the glove box opening and up to remove the two screws that secure the lower airbag module mounting brackets to the instrument panel.
Remove the passenger side airbag module and airbag door from the instrument panel as a unit.
Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the hardware as follows:
Airbag module mounting bracket screws - 11.8 N·m (105 in. lbs.)
Airbag door mounting screws - 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
Before reinstalling the instrument panel top cover, be certain that the airbag module wire harness connector latches are fully engaged.

Hey muddyjeep...that's perfect, except I wonder if you have the "See Airbag System in Diagnosis and Testing for proper procedures" part.

That's all I need, get to the end of the project and blow the airbag... :explosion

And to think these are just convienience items that save our lives when we drive. They only hurt you when you make a mistake working on or around them (Ya Right). I blew off an air bag last week at work (purposly on the ground). An easy 100 ft. in the air. Hows that for in your face. :flame: I've installed hundreds of bags and diagnosed more air bag systems than that without a deployment. Trick is to follow the instructions. Every vehicle is diffrent. I've had my drivers bag out three times and my passanger side once in my 99 XJ. No big deal. Most guys at our shop are affraid to fix these systems. I like this! More gravy work for me! :yelclap: ] Just take your time.

Joe

replace clockspring

CLOCKSPRING
WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position before starting the procedure.
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If the airbag has not been deployed, wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
Remove the driver side airbag module from the steering wheel. See Airbag Module in this group for the procedures.
If the vehicle is equipped with the optional vehicle speed control, unplug the speed control switch wire harness connector in the steering wheel.
Remove the nut that secures the steering wheel to the steering column upper shaft.
Remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller (Special Tool C-3428-B)
Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel. Refer to Steering Column Opening Cover in Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
If the vehicle is so equipped, move the tilt steering column to the fully raised position.
Insert the key in the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch to the On position.
Insert a small screwdriver or pin punch through the access hole in the lower steering column shroud and depress the ignition lock cylinder retaining tumbler Steering Column Shrouds Remove/Install
While holding the retaining tumbler depressed, pull the ignition lock cylinder and key out of the ignition lock housing.
Remove the three screws that secure the lower steering column shroud to the upper shroud.
If the vehicle is equipped with a standard non-tilt steering column, loosen the two upper steering column mounting nuts. If the vehicle is equipped with the optional tilt steering column, move the tilt steering column to the fully lowered position.
Remove both the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column.
Unplug the two wire harness connectors from the instrument panel side of the clockspring Clockspring Remove/Install
To remove the clockspring, carefully lift the locating fingers of the clockspring assembly from the steering column as necessary. If the clockspring locating fingers are broken, be certain to remove the broken pieces from the upper steering column housing. The clockspring cannot be repaired. It must be replaced if faulty or damaged, or if the airbag has been deployed.
When installing the clockspring, snap the clockspring onto the steering column. If the clockspring is not positioned properly in relation to the steering wheel, see Clockspring Centering in this group before installing the steering wheel.
Plug the two clockspring wire harness connectors into the instrument panel side of the clockspring. Be certain that the wire harness connector latches are fully engaged.
Reinstall the steering column shrouds and ignition lock cylinder. Tighten the shroud mounting screws to 2 N·m (18 in. lbs.)
Reinstall the steering column opening cover to the instrument panel. Refer to Steering Column Opening Cover in Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
The front wheels should still be in the straight-ahead position. Install the steering wheel being certain to index the flats on the hub of the steering wheel with the formations on the inside of the clockspring. Pull the wire harness through the lower hole in the steering wheel hub. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.) Be certain not to pinch the wiring between the steering wheel and the nut.
Install the driver side airbag module onto the steering wheel. See Airbag Module in this group for the procedures.

installing clockspring

CLOCKSPRING CENTERING
If the rotating tape within the clockspring is not positioned properly in relation to the steering wheel and the front wheels, the clockspring may fail during use. The clockspring must be centered if it is not known to be properly positioned, or if the front wheels were moved from the straight-ahead position with the clockspring removed during any service procedure.

WARNING: THE AIRBAG SYSTEM IS A SENSITIVE, COMPLEX ELECTROMECHANICAL UNIT. BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DIAGNOSE OR SERVICE ANY AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENTS YOU MUST FIRST DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE. THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE FURTHER SYSTEM SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO DO THIS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position before starting the centering procedure.
Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. If the airbag has not been deployed, wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before further service.
Remove the driver side airbag module from the steering wheel. See Airbag Module in this group for the procedures.
If the vehicle is equipped with the optional vehicle speed control, unplug the speed control switch wire harness connector in the steering wheel.
Remove the nut that secures the steering wheel to the steering column upper shaft.
Remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller (Special Tool C-3428-B)
Rotate the clockspring rotor clockwise to the end of its travel Clockspring Do not apply excessive torque.
From the end of the clockwise travel, rotate the rotor about two and one-half turns counterclockwise, until the rotor flats are horizontal. If the clockspring wire harness is not at the bottom, rotate the clockspring another one-half turn.
The front wheels should still be in the straight-ahead position. Install the steering wheel being certain to index the flats on the hub of the steering wheel with the formations on the inside of the clockspring. Pull the wire harness from the clockspring through the lower hole in the steering wheel hub. Tighten the steering wheel nut to 61 N·m (45 ft. lbs.) Be certain not to pinch any of the wiring between the steering wheel and the nut.
Install the airbag module onto the steering wheel. See Airbag Module in this group for the procedures.

This thread has left me with a question...I have never really even considered the airbag ghoing off until now...is there a fuse that you can pull to deactivate the Airbag system without having to physically remove the airbags from the truck itself? Or is taking them out completely the only way to go???

Thanks,
mike

12 MONKEYS

This thread and your question in particular rang a bell in my ancient head.
I have a vague recollection of dealers being allowed to install a disable airbag
switch for the passenger side only. The reason for this was to improve safety in a crash for children or very small adults. Apparently children are somewhat safer without the airbag.I don't specifically remember why. If this is true, there must be a TSB that explains how it is done. You might be able
to use the same technique for the driver's side. It may be that this applies only to certain brands and models of vehicles. You might have to do some
research if XJS are one of them.

HTH

Stan

Back