• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disable ABS

AL BUNDY

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to disable the old style ABS without removing the entire system on a 1991 XJ?

I searched and read alot of threads that said you need to replace the Master cylinder and booster with a non-abs one. My last XJ was a 90 that still had the stock ABS but it was somehow disabled when I bought it. The ABS pump still came on and I never had a problem with the brakes. There were no problems when I swapped the Dana 35 for a 8.25 rear axle.
Now, I have a 91 XJ with the stock ABS system still functioning and I again want to swap out the Dana 35 rear. Is there a way to disable the old style ABS without removing the entire system?

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Most of the threads I read say that is all you have to do with the newer ABS system. The old ABS style is integrated into the braking system so if you pull all the fuses and relays, you have no brakes. I was trying to find if a fuse could be pulled to keep the brakes working but disable the ABS function.

Brakes are run off of hydraulics, ABS is the electrical part of it. If your ABS goes out you still have "old school" brakes.

yea it wouldn't be safe/wise move on an auto manufacturer for your brakes to go completely out if a few fuses blown...

GM stuff least the same era of blazers just unplug every electrical connector on the ABS unit. All it is essentially a pump that gets turned on by a buncha prox switches. take the power away from the pump part and it wont run. ironicaly it also kept the ABS light off haha.

Back