• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 disco axle to non disco?

ChEwBaCcA

NAXJA Forum User
On a D30 disco axle 90 vintage can you just pull the disco stuff off and run a non disco passenger side axle?

Why or why not?

TIA
Chewy

i tried to grab the link but???
anyway, www.madxj.com has an write up about this. go under go under the technical thred and then the axle catagory. scroll and look for the u-joint install section. sorry to make you run around but it wouldt let me grab the link.

Yes and no......

Yes, you can pull all of the disco motor stuff off and run a non-disco axle.

No, because you need to install a seal at the pumpkin. The seal on a disco is outboard of the shift fork assembly.

Chewy I did this on my YJ when I put my lockright in. I got some XJ shafts so I could use a 297 joint, and I didn't want the axle disconnect.

Pulled the carrier out and made a lip with 90 degree grinder for a seal. Really simple.

Both Warn and Randy's Ring and Pinion sell a seal and block-off plate kit to non-disco the D30.
I've used both. Seal goes right in the passenger side where the non-disco seal would go (if Dana had machined it there)
Randy's kit was less expensive, Warn's had a higher quality seal.
They're both still holding up fine.

RobertF said:
Both Warn and Randy's Ring and Pinion sell a seal and block-off plate kit to non-disco the D30.
I've used both. Seal goes right in the passenger side where the non-disco seal would go (if Dana had machined it there)
Randy's kit was less expensive, Warn's had a higher quality seal.
They're both still holding up fine.

If you really want to do it really cheap, you can just find the seal on the pumkin side. I have the part number floating on the board somewhere aroung here. No need to grind and rick leaving metal in the pumkin. I believe the sela comes from a CJ6 D30.

Found it:

This seal should just tap right it, 11771/40576S CR SEAL

Also, the 91' disco axles may be machined for the standard carrier seal. We found this out talking to a 4WD shop, who at first sold me the wrong seal. Then I found out that its a 60's CJ5 has a front axle seal.

Im using the same setup chuck D is, havent got a chance to test it yet though. :(

Instead of worrying about fabbing a block off plate, just take apart teh vacuum shift fork assembly, plug the hole, and reinstall it, thats what i did.

I didn't realize someone made a kit for this. I just didn't want the vacuum shift fork anymore, and I've seen to many posi locks fail. I used the left hand seal to install on the right. I also left the shift fork assembly on the cover the hole. The fork goes right over the axle shaft, and I still get the neato 4wd light on the dash.

Truth said:
I didn't realize someone made a kit for this. I just didn't want the vacuum shift fork anymore, and I've seen to many posi locks fail. I used the left hand seal to install on the right. I also left the shift fork assembly on the cover the hole. The fork goes right over the axle shaft, and I still get the neato 4wd light on the dash.

Dude, did you notice that he started this thread a long time ago. Like Dec 2003.

Back