• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plastic Fuel Tank for 1990 MJ

I dont think so. the only Plastic tank swaps I have heard about are 97+ XJ tanks where the factory spare sits and Dakota tank swap. But to my understanding, bot of those require the newer 97+ sending units and they are a returned system where the earlier versions are return-less I think.

I dont have any experience with any of it, just blurry rememberings of skimming through threads and whatnot over the years.

Definitely have not seen a plastic tank for the MJ.

Not a fan of aftermarket tanks for the MJ.

1- There is no mounting point for the bottom of the fuel pump assembly. Its a standoff with a hole in it to reduce stress the pump frame assembly. There is a pin at the bottom of the pump frame.

2- Leaks out the filler tube when side hill. Never did it with the OEM tank.

I'm going to take my OEM tank in for cleaning and possibly coating. I could do it myself but it's a matter of free time with so many other fish to fry.

Last edited:
My friend is looking for an aftermarket tank for his new MJ project, too bad there are no better options around than the OEM. We'll take a closer look at the tank leak next week after we installed the rotors and tis wheels on the truck and clear the garage.

Back