• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Negative Camber after swapping ball joints?

Vkbikes

NAXJA Forum User
So I finished up my WJ knuckle swap, and I noticed there seems to be a pretty pronounced negative camber in my wheels now. It looks a little like / \ now. My old ball joints were completely shot. There's little to no chance the axle is bent, do they just need to settle or am i SOL and need camber shims?

The ball joints were non adjustable, WJ joints for the WJ knuckles (Same upper as XJ, different lower)

There's no such thing as a camber shim. If you think everything went correct in the install. then you need to take it to a alignment shop and measure the angles. After that the only thing you could do would be "offset" ball-joints.

There's no such thing as a camber shim. If you think everything went correct in the install. then you need to take it to a alignment shop and measure the angles. After that the only thing you could do would be "offset" ball-joints.

Camber shim goes behind the unit bearing, theres also shimmer sleeves that seem to fit in the knuckle. I am definitely going to have it aligned, I'm just wondering if it's a problem or if it's normal and my old worn out joints were just masking it.

Who's alignment, shops don't do about *-1.

How do those shims work with a unit bearing?

Who's alignment, shops don't do about *-1.

The shop could not change the Camber obviously, but they measured it as part of the toe adjustment. It was -1 and some change each side. Googling turns up some threads claiming this is close to factory and perhaps even desirable?

How are you determining the camber? By eye? You can't go by the tire, you have to go by the rim. If you have toe in, the bottom of the tires will be sucked towards the center and the top of the tires will lean outwards making it look like the whole wheel is tilted.

It sure wasn't a reputable shop or he would have received a printout.
jeep%20align_zpsyvtrqk8t.jpg

How are you determining the camber? By eye? You can't go by the tire, you have to go by the rim. If you have toe in, the bottom of the tires will be sucked towards the center and the top of the tires will lean outwards making it look like the whole wheel is tilted.

They used lasers and everything. :geek:

They gave me a printout haha. I just didn't memorize the exact number. One side was like -1.2 and the other was -1.1. I

What size tires do you have? What did they set the toe-in to?

Back