• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear leaf spring shims

Thehowler

NAXJA Forum User
Getting everything together for my 4” lift and 31” tires.
1994 xj 4 door, 4.0, ax15, NP231, 1987 Dana 44 rear.
Planning on a SYE off the bat with TW driveshaft. With a 4” lift, what shim thickness should I start out with to line my pinion with the driveshaft and have a chance at not swapping out again?
Asking the folks running the XJ Dana 44 rearends.
Greg

A 4* degree shim would be the most common for that set-up, but I would measure before ordering.

You wouldn't be able to measure until the lift is installed, and I'm at 5.5" currently.

It will depend on how you lift it. Shackles and/or shackle relocation brackets rotate the pinion upward since the rear of the leaf spring is lowered relative to the front. If it's all leaf spring the the pinion will stay in basically the same orientation and you'll need a lot more shim. You want the pinion to be lower than the driveshaft centerline, so it's better to undershoot. Then when the springs settle in a few months, you may already have the angle you need :)

I don't have any shims, I rotated and re-welded the perches.

After installing my lift, I called Tom Woods for the SYE and the drive shaft. They told me what to measure and to call them back. I did the measurements and they sold me the angle shim I needed.

Back