• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longest lasting spray paint?

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,
For the last couple of years I've sprayed my side mirrors and both bumpers with krylon ultra flat black. What ends up happening though is that it gets white spots all over and starts to rust again anywhere I get rock chips. I put on about 2 or 3 coats to the sanded non-rusted metal. See pic below.

Is there another brand of spray paint that will give me maybe 2 or 3 years without having to redo this job every spring/summer? I thought about using gloss this time in case the rough surface of the ultra flat is somehow trapping salt/moisture. Please post any thoughts and or recommendations......(as long as they're inexpensive!) I practically put an entire floor into this thing when I got it in 2006! Thanks..........

spots.jpg

Hi Guys,
For the last couple of years I've sprayed my side mirrors and both bumpers with krylon ultra flat black. What ends up happening though is that it gets white spots all over and starts to rust again anywhere I get rock chips. I put on about 2 or 3 coats to the sanded non-rusted metal. See pic below.

Is there another brand of spray paint that will give me maybe 2 or 3 years without having to redo this job every spring/summer? I thought about using gloss this time in case the rough surface of the ultra flat is somehow trapping salt/moisture. Please post any thoughts and or recommendations......(as long as they're inexpensive!) I practically put an entire floor into this thing when I got it in 2006! Thanks..........

spots.jpg
try a satin instead

Thanks! Anyone have first hand experience with any certain brand? I actually have a can of krylon indoor/outdoor satin, but before getting another couple cans it would be cool if someone knew if the results were brand based, or just because of the finish.... what about rustoleum or that really cheap stuff at WM? I like the krylon because you can re-coat almost immediately, and plus it's pretty quick drying.

kind of overkill...but VHT flat black engine enamel will last a lifetime....

Put down a good etching primer and them some Rustoleum.

You may want to take the bumper back down to the chrome and really scuff it up, then spray it with etching primer and then a heavier duty satin black like these guys said...or even the engine enamel.

the thickest, toughest coating in a rattle can is epoxy paint

the only drawback, black appliance epoxy is not rated for outdoors. it would tend to fade. But three coats will resist stone chips like catalyzed urethane.

The local hardware store carries it?

They've all been run out of town! I have a lowe's, WM, kmart... closest true value is now about an hour away. I read that some people have had luck finding it there.

I just looked, you can get it on ebay.

Cool..... I'll check it out. Thanks again! Hope it's not too expensive though, I'm at 180K, and like I said, I pretty much put a floor in this thing! I have to be careful of how much I put into it at this point :)

Mercruiser Phantom black. If it will last under water and baking in the sun, it will last on my bumper.

Justin

Rustolem rusty metal primer(lots of zinc) with Rustolem rust preventive paint(more zinc).

I painted my shocks 5 years ago with that combo and there are nicks but nothing bad enough to rust. Thats pretty good since they see tons of road salt.

It's the only stuff I use now. When I paint my MJ this is what I'm using.

Back