• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I90 Conditions

Avanteone

NAXJA Forum User
Kristen left here a while ago, just called and she's stopped on I90 while they do avalanche control :)

Hope she gets home sometime TONIGHT.

WSDOT shows closed while they do avalanche control and chains required on all but AWD.

J

Avanteone said:
Kristen left here a while ago, just called and she's stopped on I90 while they do avalanche control :)

Hope she gets home sometime TONIGHT.

WSDOT shows closed while they do avalanche control and chains required on all but AWD.

J

Well, looks like she aint hanging out this weekend. Hopefully she gets back in time too.

Ive always found it weird that no chains arew requiered for AWD vehicles, but then again, they do get better traction to some extent.

IXNAYXJ said:
...about twice as much. :D

I think it refers to true 4WD as well as pure AWD vehicles.

-----Matt-----

Hope she made it home in good shape. I am sure the passes are nasty now.

That is a questioned I have always had. Is a 4wd vehicle considered an AWD by the WA DOT? Does Fulltime 4wd count for anything? Does it have to have lockers front and rear? Or would a LSD count? And how could they tell?

XJourney said:
Hope she made it home in good shape. I am sure the passes are nasty now.

That is a questioned I have always had. Is a 4wd vehicle considered an AWD by the WA DOT? Does Fulltime 4wd count for anything? Does it have to have lockers front and rear? Or would a LSD count? And how could they tell?

To them, AWD is any combination.... AWD, 4WD, whatever..... Kris's K5 blazer is considered the same as our XJ's and the same as a Subaru.

TECHNICALLY, when chains are required on all vehicles except AWD, the AWD vehicles are still SUPPOSED to carry chains... in extreme cases the WSP can mandate their installation.

J

Avanteone said:
To them, AWD is any combination.... AWD, 4WD, whatever..... Kris's K5 blazer is considered the same as our XJ's and the same as a Subaru.

TECHNICALLY, when chains are required on all vehicles except AWD, the AWD vehicles are still SUPPOSED to carry chains... in extreme cases the WSP can mandate their installation.

J

John is correct. AWD, part time 4wd, permanent 4x4 doesn't make any difference for these requirements (even thou there can be a HUGE difference in their performance)

I have been stoped 2 times with a 4x4 and asked to show my chains even if I did not need to install them. They regularly do check to make sure you have them.

Michael

2xtreme said:
John is correct. AWD, part time 4wd, permanent 4x4 doesn't make any difference for these requirements (even thou there can be a HUGE difference in their performance)

I have been stoped 2 times with a 4x4 and asked to show my chains even if I did not need to install them. They regularly do check to make sure you have them.

Michael

Oregon and California routinely use highway check points on mountain passes to check for chain possesion and proper installation.

Cal

hey guys i did finally make it to my brother and sisters house at about 8pm after leaving johns shop at 230. was a hectic time, at 25 mph all the way over the pass till i hit ellensburg, where it cleared up. made me really glad the blazer had new tires on it:D

Back