• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Required Equipment Questions/Help

BCParker

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully Winterfest will be my first NAXJA event, and hopefully I'll have paid for a membership by then, but in the meantime I could use some help getting together the right stuff for the occasion. (I'll be in the bone stock '97)

I've read the required equipment list several times, and know what I need, but could use some clarification on a few things.

1. define adaquate spare tire : If I have 225/75/15's but my spare is a 225/70/15, will that fly? (it works on road :) )

2. what do you all use for a jack?- would the stock bottle jack and a block of wood be enough or do I need to find something else?

3. still looking for a front tow point, probably hooks since they're the cheapest, anything to watch out for there?

4. and lastly, it says I need a tow strap with no metal. what length, strength, etc. do I need, got a good source for them cheap?

Thanks, hope to see you all there.

B

1. Yes

2. I believe that is what most people use. Some also carry a bottle jack or a hi-lift.

3. I have seen some hook brackets bend on side pulls. A front hitch is stronger but also more $$. Properly mounted hooks will pass inspection.

4. Check Rural King or Tractor Supply.

HTH. JIM.

BCParker said:
Hopefully Winterfest will be my first NAXJA event, and hopefully I'll have paid for a membership by then, but in the meantime I could use some help getting together the right stuff for the occasion. (I'll be in the bone stock '97)

I've read the required equipment list several times, and know what I need, but could use some clarification on a few things.

1. define adaquate spare tire : If I have 225/75/15's but my spare is a 225/70/15, will that fly? (it works on road :) )

2. what do you all use for a jack?- would the stock bottle jack and a block of wood be enough or do I need to find something else?

3. still looking for a front tow point, probably hooks since they're the cheapest, anything to watch out for there?

4. and lastly, it says I need a tow strap with no metal. what length, strength, etc. do I need, got a good source for them cheap?

Thanks, hope to see you all there.

B

1. No problem, just no space savers, and you want something at least close. So you should have no problem there.

2. Stock jacks work amazingly well. High lifts are even more versitile, but there are plenty of HL's around if you need one.

3) Front and rear tow points are an absolute must. Aftermarket front hook mounts are stronger than stock ones, but stocks pass. Tweeking a hook mount is no biggie but busting off a hook could be deadly. That's why welded on tow hooks are not adequate.

4) http://www.keepercorp.com/prod/vrs.htm 2"X20' is fine a 3"X30' even better. A Keeper 2"X20' should be available at AutoZone or Advanced Auto for around $30. http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3206&mfrcode=KEE&mfrpartnumber=02922

HTH
B-loose

yeah get the best strap you can afford. preferably 3"x20' or 30'. no metal hooks for sure. that's the common sense safety rule for every club i know of. also front and rear tow hooks are best setup. sometimes it's easier to pull you back out the way you went in.

just a question to see if this is acceptable

i'm building a front bumper and on the drivers side i am using the 3 original bumper bolts plus 1 steering box and 1 hole farther back on the frame, on the passenger side i'm using the original 3 plus the 1 farther back on the frame. the plates are 3/8" amd i'm using a 2X6" 1/4 inch thick for the actual bumper. i will be welding clevis schakle brackets right in front of where the plates are welded. the corners are angled upwards. i can't get pictures because its at work and they wont allow any cameras. Everything is welded extremely well. is this going to be sufficient?

funvtec said:
just a question to see if this is acceptable

i'm building a front bumper and on the drivers side i am using the 3 original bumper bolts plus 1 steering box and 1 hole farther back on the frame, on the passenger side i'm using the original 3 plus the 1 farther back on the frame. the plates are 3/8" amd i'm using a 2X6" 1/4 inch thick for the actual bumper. i will be welding clevis schakle brackets right in front of where the plates are welded. the corners are angled upwards. i can't get pictures because its at work and they wont allow any cameras. Everything is welded extremely well. is this going to be sufficient?

nope must tie into 24 holes and have at least 2" steel on the side.

sorry...

(no one is going to check how many bolt holes its tied into... as long as you are comfortable - then its fine)

ok thanks, just want to keep things safe

XJ_ranger said:
(no one is going to check how many bolt holes its tied into... as long as you are comfortable - then its fine)

Although true no one will check to see how many bolts you will be using for the bumper, it is not true that as long as you are comfortable, your OK. As long as the tech inspectors are comfortable your OK and then as long as the guy hooking the strap to your Jeep is comfortable. Problem is not how the bumper is mounted but how the clevis mounts are installed. If you are planning to just weld the clevis mounts to the face of the 2x6, I would say that is questionable. On mine the clevis mounts extend through the face of the bumper and are welded on the inside and the outside.

I'm not saying what you have isn't going to be OK but in reality the final say is up to the tech inspectors. BTW, I am not one of the tech inspectors. You may want to PM one of them and see what they think.

HTH,
B-loose

i haven't gotten as far as monting the clevis mounts yet, i think i will extend them just to be on the safe side. shouldn't be a problem i'll just have a guy burn some new mounts for me. is 1/2 inch plate enought for these? our plasma table maxes out at 1/2 inch.

1/2" is sufficient if welded in correctly.

DSC00387.jpg

Mine, seen here, are 1/2" plate, welded into the bumper and they have held up great for several years

welding isn't the issues i'm worried i'm a certified structural steel welder and do it all day on cranes so i have no problems with weld quality at all. i just need to know what is sufficient for the cherokee. I have all kinds of stuff from lakeside and internation trucks i could use but 1/2 is all i can burn cleanly

you should see some of the tow hooks i have

well, 1/2" d-ring brackets, 3/8" frame plates and 1/4" tube are sufficient. Actually, with the exception of the d-ring mounts, the other things are actually over kill for a Cherokee, but if you are willing to lug the extra weight around, no problem by me!

funvtec said:
welding isn't the issues i'm worried i'm a certified structural steel welder and do it all day on cranes so i have no problems with weld quality at all. i just need to know what is sufficient for the cherokee. I have all kinds of stuff from lakeside and internation trucks i could use but 1/2 is all i can burn cleanly

you should see some of the tow hooks i have

Sounds like you have it covered. What relationship do you have with Lakeside?

B

Bloose said:
Sounds like you have it covered. What relationship do you have with Lakeside?

B

we buy 100's of lakeside trucks a year, we build all the bucket trucks and digger derricks for the phone and electric companies around here. here is an example of the type of hooks i can get my hands on i was planning on putting these on the front but thought it would be to mad max like!

100_0063.jpg

open house at work

Open_House_Dec1.jpg

My cousin works for Lakeside as a Mechanic. My father is also a parts salesman for Badger Truck Center.

Those big trucks have some healthy hooks don't they, you should see the hooks on my bus (S1800 IH).

B

So, you have no hooks on your bus now? Hope you don't get stuck in the mud at the WF campground.

B

Bloose said:
My cousin works for Lakeside as a Mechanic. My father is also a parts salesman for Badger Truck Center.

Those big trucks have some healthy hooks don't they, you should see the hooks on my bus (S1800 IH).

B

when i worked for an air tool place i used to repair the air tools for badger truck

small world

Back