• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

did you break anything on 8.25 ?

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
I want to lock the 8.25 (29) which is currently under my XJ, (33, 4.56, aussie front).

I want to hear, did you break anything on your 8.25? yokes? R&P ? Shafts? Which situation? Which tires? Or on the other hand did your 8.25 hold fine?

Thank you for your inputs.

This might look kinda ridiculous, but here in Europe we lack most of your D44 and 8.8s, so choosing an upgrade for the rear axle must be considered many times before it is done :)

The 29 spline 8.25 is just about as strong as a D44 and will do just fine on 33s, many run 35s w/ no problems. I know several people that really like the no-slip (cheapest locker for that axle).

I have ran mine welded on 33s with no issues. It rarely sees the road, but I am not easy on it off-road. I practically tried to break it over the summer, all I did was break a leaf spring!

Mine is welded. Its a 29 spl. axle.

Even on a 27 spline one, I have not seen a broke axle, as where I have seen a broke 8.8.

The 8.25 is strong due to the strength of the housing, larger spline count, and overall biggerness(is that a word?) of the D35 and XJ D44 housing.

I have broke a yoke though, but that was after smacking it HARD on rocks, and driving it on the Forest Service roads with broken ears. Other wise, its been fine.

My .02.

Pharaoh XJ said:
I ve never heared yet of anybody breaking a 8.25 even a 27 spline

Its been done, a couple guys on here have twisted splines, etc.

That said I love mine. Holds up to my 33s and skinny mashing just fine, disc brake swap was cheap and easy.

I ran mine (27 spline) with 33 mt's and a detroit and never broke anything. After pulling it out, I am surprised they work so well. The shafts look tiny. Smaller even than the D-35.

Harvo, you have great eyes to be able to tell the difference down to 1/100th of an inch :)

Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01

Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96

I've never broken anything on my 29 spline 8.25(Yukon shafts, Yukon 4.10 gears and Detroit) but I do carry a spare yoke and a spare shaft on the trail.

One thing I like about the 8.25 over the D-44 is that both shafts are the same length, the D-44 shafts are not, so I can use that shaft on either side of the 8.25.

I recommend welding the tubes to prevent spinning one and shave that lip off of the 8.25, it will catch every rock on the trail! I run the RuffStuff cover and I'm planning a truss that will tie in the cover for added strength.

I think the 8.25 is a good off-road axle considering it was designed originaly for car applications. The ground clearance of the diff is the only big negative I can see with it as long as you stay under 33" tires. If you go bigger than that, you may want to consider a 9" for strength.

A good friend of mine has an 8.25 thats welded with 33s in his 93 with stock gears. He beats it like it owes him money and its got 246K miles on it. He did set the backlash again when he had the carrier out to weld it but thats it.

Hey my jeep is on 33x12.50x15 firestone destination mt's mounted on 15x8 rims. Open dana 30 up front and 8.25 29 spline in the rear which is also open. I really want to weld my rear so both rear wheels spin at the same time to acheive maximum traction off-road. I drive my jeep everyday to and from work and sometimes on 60mi trips one way to certain places. I have a heavy foot and can you guys tell me exactly what I should weld, spyder gears ect...and would welding it be perfectly fine for the everyday driving I do? Also is the tire wear real bad when the rear is welded. Thanks!

99 cherokee sport, 4.0 auto

dude... if its a dd then you dont want to weld the gears.... your tires will wear out like an old hooker, and pavement driveability will go to the pits. i leave my front open, and my rear with a no-slip which locks up when you are on the gas, but is open when you let off (around corners and whatnot)

Not a good idea. The tire wear will be pretty bad and it will misbehave around turns. It will also put a lot of stress on stuff when you are driving on dry pavement.

If you do a lot of tight turns offing? Don't weld or spool. Even in 4WD the front end just don't want to come around as well.

I have broke 3 27spline shafts with ease, Never had a problem when I went to the yukon shafts. Yet to break a 8.8 anything. Never ran the 29 spline 8.25though.

Search....
This was just covered...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=939916

I snapped my 8.25 like a tooth pick in Calico on Lower Duran:
1209072057.jpg

1027071330.jpg

When the shaft broke it took out 1 side of my Detroit.

Back