• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Breaking a diff cover loose.....?????

MartyBear

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Gang,

What's the best way to break a diff cover loose without wrecking anything?

Also, whoever owned this particular Jeep B4 me appears to have cross threaded the filler hole cap in the diff. Does anyone make a rubber plug to put in place for this cap or di I have to buy a new diff cover?

Thanks much :repair:

Marty

You should look up the topic I made about the 8.25 axle the other day :) Seriously, I did it with a large screwdriver and a small sledge hammer. It was my first time doing it and everything worked out fine (so far anyway...no leaks yet!)

It took a LOT more force than I thought it should take. Just put the tip of the screwdriver in the seam and give it a couple light taps with a heavy hammer. Just use common sense & good judgement and most likely you won't mess anything up :)

before you go and get a new diff cover....see if you can run a tap thru it to clean up the threads and then try threading in the plug.....give it a shot

Matthew Currie said:
A good stout putty knife works pretty well - has to be strong enough to hammer on without buckling.

A putty knife was my first choice after seeing that recommendation on another website... Unfortunately, the one I used was a piece of crap (plastic handle). The handle got pretty smashed up, so I resorted to the screwdriver. I'm sure a decent putty knife would do the trick though!

I will echo the putty knife recommendation, works great. I like to use a really thin flexible one though, the thinner it is the easier it will go between the housing and the cover.

For the hole fix in the filler you can also get a new plug, you can usually find them in the same rack as the oil pan drain plugs.

You could probably find a proper sized plasic one. For the cost of a tap that size? You might be able to get a new cover! :laugh3:

Good time to buy a Crane? :kissyou: Crane

Those, you break loose just by whanging on them with a hammer!

bburge

Back