• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission mount

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my old stock tranny mount as it was sagging a bit, causing my Atlas transfer case to droop and rub on skid plate/crossmember. I bought a stock looking mount at Autozone, The new mount sagged more than the stock on, so we adding spacers to keep the transfer case off the skid plate. One camping trip later and the new mount sagged so much that the exhaust pipe and transfer case both rubbed, had to make a trailside repair with even more spacers to keep things from rubbing, and making a hole in the exhaust.

What tranny mount is good?

this is a 5 inch lifted 1990 xj jeep.

Thanks!

Stinky fab makes one — it’s around $85

I don’t run it but if I was to go to a custom mount this is what I would run

I just customized an anchor trans mount from rock auto — filled the void under the rubber with poly casting compound — have not installed it yet so I have no comments on its performance

I have the Daystar poly mount. Bought it before the sfr was available. Definitely noticed more noise and engine vibe but it does not move or sag. For my mostly trail rig it's fine.

Another for the StinkyFab mount. I've been running it for a while(AX15/241OR) and just switched to the SuperSoft bushings. Good stuff.

I have the Stinky fab as well. it does a great job, but it does vibe. it's noticeable if it's your daily. if it's your trail or camp rig it should be fine. I think I may go back to mopar in the near future (it lasted 100k+ here in socal) and sell the SFR. but mopar is definitely squishier.

I don't think it's necessarily but more info on this rubber bushing would be interesting

In for the info. I run the SFR transmission mount but would swap out a rubber bushing to dampen the vibes on my Daily '01 XJ if it's feasible.

I don't think it's necessarily but more info on this rubber bushing would be interesting

I work at Napa so I am curious as to what he is talking about. Plus if and when I replace the tranny mount I was thinking of going with the SFR one. But my '00 is a DD and that is it. So keeping any possible vibes down and using a quality tranny mount would be a win win in my book.

I'd be interested for the NHV that it could help reduce. My '01XJ has quite a bit of this when I'm sitting at a stop/light while in D... if I slip my AW4 into "N" while stopped at the same time the NHV all but goes away. Likewise, as soon as I start to accelerate the NHV also goes away. It's really only noticeable while sitting in traffic, at a light, etc... No idea of swapping in the Rubber bushings would change that, but it's worth a try for me. :)

The trans mount does not transmit any vibes at all, so I dunno.

I have the Stinky fab as well. it does a great job, but it does vibe. it's noticeable if it's your daily. if it's your trail or camp rig it should be fine. I think I may go back to mopar in the near future (it lasted 100k+ here in socal) and sell the SFR. but mopar is definitely squishier.

My jeep is driven on highway a lot for camping and such, so bad vibration would be annoying. I do have 33 x 12.5 off road tires, so I have a lot of tire noise anyway. As soon as I replaced the mount, at first my jeep was a lot smoother than with the old mount which collapsed enough that a corner of my transfercase was rubbing on the skip plate. So the vibes were noticable to me.

I like the price and simplicity of the Daystar mount, but am concerned about too much vibration noise that may make the jeep bad for them long highway runs. But then again my jeep is noisy anyway. I was told by some that the grand cherokee fan clutch would be too loud, but when I added it, I didnt notice any change above the loud already tire noise.

How bad is the noise and vibration on some of these stiffer mounts? Consider my situation.... large offroad tires, sometimes day long highway drives to get to jeep destinations.

I need to get my choice made, next jeep trip in five weeks. Certainly the stock mount is not an option. I probably ought to do the two motor mounts also, they probably have 40kmiles on them, over 15 years old. I have had this, my first jeep for about a year now

ps my windshield got shattered on jeep last trip, (this was after we did the aforementioned bandaid shimming repair on the collapsed tranny mount to prevent my exhaust from rubbing on the cross member)
A fist size object hit the window while i was at about 65 mph on the Interstate 15 near Barstow CA. came straight at my face, saw it 1 or so second before impact, arced down straight at me, really quickly. It left a big 10 inch or so bullseye, and long cracks across the glass. My copilot said he saw it bounce off lane to my left. It was up in the air, my jeep is lifted so it was way up in the air. I was peppered with glass shards, but rock/object did not penetrate. We had to wrap up windshield in duct tape, drove home with a slit view of the world, but not too little a field of view to be unsafe.

ok, I am now leaning towards the stinky fab tranny mount, and likely their motor mounts too. Possibly with the motor mount reinforcement plates.

So if all three mounts are the Stinky Fab type, with the Stinky Fab soft urethane bushes, how will the ride be? acceptable for long highway runs? again my jeep is already noisy with 33 inch off road tires.

How is the sound and vibration with all three mounts being the stinky fab type?

Mine is great while driving... it's the stopped while idling that I notice the NHV. Honestly, it's not terrible but I'm likely overly sensitive to NHV (due to sht breaking down on me) that I always wonder if something is getting ready to blow up. Ha.

I'm confident of you buy the SFR Motor/Tranny/Plate kit you will likely not notice any increased NHV when driving on your 33 inch tires.

My jeep is driven on highway a lot for camping and such, so bad vibration would be annoying. I do have 33 x 12.5 off road tires, so I have a lot of tire noise anyway. As soon as I replaced the mount, at first my jeep was a lot smoother than with the old mount which collapsed enough that a corner of my transfercase was rubbing on the skip plate. So the vibes were noticable to me.

I like the price and simplicity of the Daystar mount, but am concerned about too much vibration noise that may make the jeep bad for them long highway runs. But then again my jeep is noisy anyway. I was told by some that the grand cherokee fan clutch would be too loud, but when I added it, I didnt notice any change above the loud already tire noise.

How bad is the noise and vibration on some of these stiffer mounts? Consider my situation.... large offroad tires, sometimes day long highway drives to get to jeep destinations.

I need to get my choice made, next jeep trip in five weeks. Certainly the stock mount is not an option. I probably ought to do the two motor mounts also, they probably have 40kmiles on them, over 15 years old. I have had this, my first jeep for about a year now

ps my windshield got shattered on jeep last trip, (this was after we did the aforementioned bandaid shimming repair on the collapsed tranny mount to prevent my exhaust from rubbing on the cross member)
A fist size object hit the window while i was at about 65 mph on the Interstate 15 near Barstow CA. came straight at my face, saw it 1 or so second before impact, arced down straight at me, really quickly. It left a big 10 inch or so bullseye, and long cracks across the glass. My copilot said he saw it bounce off lane to my left. It was up in the air, my jeep is lifted so it was way up in the air. I was peppered with glass shards, but rock/object did not penetrate. We had to wrap up windshield in duct tape, drove home with a slit view of the world, but not too little a field of view to be unsafe.

Look brother this is how I rationalize it. It's a Cherokee. You won't feel the vibration any more than stock while you're giving it throttle. if you daily it and idle at stop lights and you're anal, yes it's annoying. if it's your second pleasure vehicle it won't make a huge difference. If you're looking for a quiet, smooth idle vehicle find a body on frame and/or and LR4/landcruiser. you have 33s on a unibody, just go with the SFR if you're looking for aftermarket. mopar if not. enjoy it!

I have the basic mount just in poly and it works great. I don't feel more vib but i do have a little more noise but i dont have carpet so ya. having 4:1 it was a must to have something as stiff as poly because the stock rubber had way to much give for that gearing.

Back