• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear tooth patern

Alopanec

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think of this pattern the drive looks good i think but the coast is what im not sure about. does the pinion need to come in? Would this be an acceptable pattern? Any damage by running this
04f4aa8aaae728e1dc5728085c626736.jpg
5844b28c291c9d9fda4d57aa43690ff1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's not even close, but you need to apply more pressure for a good pattern.

Disregard bottom picture that was from different setting pinion was moved out towards center of ring gear but based on top picture of drive side would that be acceptable pattern

As RCP Phx said, you need more pressure or resistance when checking the pattern, the teeth are not under enough pressure to set a readable pattern in the yellow grease.

Also you should provide the backlash that the pattern is taken at.

Put more grease on it , and get a bar in there on the bottom of the ring gear put some pressure on it and then have someone turn the yoke for you back and forth over it to get a good pattern then send a new pic !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the point others are making with needing more drag to get a better pattern - normally I would expect to see a better pattern if the carrier bearings & pinion bearings are preloaded properly. I put a wrench on a ring bear bolt and turn it that way. Turning the pinion yoke won't exert enough pressure without some extra drag somewhere.

I would like to see both sides as a set, with the backlash and better understand the bearing preload.

^^^^^ I always do a complete turn plus to account for any run-out.

I usually chuck up my drill with the socket for the pinion, put it on low, other hand on the ring gear, and run it 4 or 5 revs each way

Wheres the pattern? You need way more pressure on the gears.

BTW, what axle are you working on?

.006" of BL is tight for a 8.25" axle, shoot for .007-.009". I've done countless axles by my self, I use a pry-bar under the ring gear while standing in front of the pinion.

Back