• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Unicorn - a light duty trail rig

Not a ton of pictures, but Russ came up and installed studs for the rockers, and then verified the preload and got the rocker arms installed.
20200101_123057-me.jpg

20200101_131119-me.jpg

Thanks to RCP PHX for the part #'s on the stud kit. Absolutely perfect.
20200101_131315-me.jpg

20191231_143528-me.jpg

Studs definitely make working on the valve-train a lot easier! Glad it worked out for you. :cheers:

Cal your attention to detail is amazing. If you was on the east coast I would offer free labor for the learning experience! Care to show off the coolant filtration? I have one as well but it is not a clean install. I know yours is before even seeing it lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sounds like a good time to sit and read the 4643 thread strait through again. ;)

Yesterday I replaced the hard fuel line that runs from the frame to the intake with a good spare sent to me by Matt Smith (thanks buddy!) and replaced the PCV valve with a new one, not that I expect that to help. I picked up a 1992 valve cover to clean up and evaluate running but I forgot it won't have the mounts for the cable clips. Debating building something I can JB weld in to hold those? Dunno.

So just thinking about upcoming projects here...

How often do you guys use the 'running lights' position on your headlight switch?

I can't think of any time i have wanted running lights and not headlights.

How often do you guys use the 'running lights' position on your headlight switch?

The only time I use the running lights is when checking a trailer's tail lights, it could just as easily be done with the headlights on

Did you get the stroker back together, using the Lunati cam". If so, did it reduce the valve train noise?
Did Russ come up with theory on why the lifters were damaged?

We're pretty certain that the bore for the intake lifter is damaged and the lifter is sticking.

New new cam was quiet for about 12 miles (and i LOVE the way it drives! I will use this cam again) but within 100 miles it was just as bad as before.

When corona virus breaks i'm hauling the jeep down to stinkyfab to yank the engine and take it to Russ for a block transplant and yet another new valvetrain - but i just don't have the energy for that right now.

I'm getting ready to install an auto headlight kit; but i want the ability to turn it off. I don't like any of the ideas I have for a switch/button location...

Am thinking wiring the headlight switch to where I have OFF : Auto : ON, and I can just leave it in the partially pulled 'auto' all of the time.

Never have I ever

What are your plans there??

Can't say I've ever used it.

I use my running lights when parking in my driveway at night. I back in, and this means I end up shining my headlights into the houses of my neighbors. Rather than annoy them I switch to the running lights. That way I still have lights on while I am in the street in the dark.

I have also found them useful for dealing with gates in the back country. Headlights can be too much light when you need to deal with a padlock. Running lights are often better.

What's important, I think, is that you don't use the running lights. So if you appropriate the middle switch position for "auto," I don't see how you can go wrong.

Agreed Al, mostly I'm making sure there isn't some critical scenario that i overlook before i start cutting into my wiring. ;)

One more scenario: Neighborhoods that are all decked out with Christmas lights. When we go viewing the Christmas lights we turn off the headlights and just run the parking lights, as do just about all the other vehicles.

So just thinking about upcoming projects here...

I have my fog light relay control circuit tapped into the running lights circuit, so that the fogs can only be used when the running lights are on. So there are a lot of times when I only have the running and fogs on with no headlights.

Well kept having lifter problems with the stroker. We're pretty sure at this point there is a damaged lifter bore.

Yanked that puppy out like I was pull starting a lawn mower. Slammed a fresh 0331 onto my old stock motor and popped it back in the car.

20200502_103357-me.jpg

20200502_103333-me.jpg

You can see #2 was getting some water but thankfully no rust. Didn't get a picture of it but the head had a huge crack in it as well.

20200430_102831-me.jpg

20200502_103402-me.jpg

20200502_175835-me.jpg

It was a solid 1.5 days of work but running fine. I have about 400 miles on it since changing it back, and went from ~22 mpg to ~14 mpg highway. Yay lacking power.

SFR designed up some new no lift shackle relocators and shackles.

20200430_184544-me.jpg

20200430_155956-me.jpg

Design parameters were to have better mounting, better mounting options, and clear Deaver leafs, which a lot of shackles rub on for some reason.

First articles arrived Friday. Sorry for bad pics.

20200517_105056-me.jpg

20200517_105105-me.jpg

The shackles are 5.5" or 6.5" hole to hole, which is comparable to most of the aftermarket shackles available.

Last edited:
Back