• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I tow a small RV with the XJ - read on

Here is what came with my Dirtbound kit.............
20180820_184836_zpskxkkjxgt.jpg

Those look very interesting. What is the thickness?

Those are only 3/16", but they could be done easily in 1/4". They are fine for my "lil sister" XJ (the one in front with no bumpers)!
IMG_0379_zps6bvsh5yi.jpg

They do look like a great product. 1/4" would be great but under most circumstances, 3/16" should be enough. I will book mark this product.
Thanks for shearing.

It's all about how creative you want to get, I made this front set for a winch bumper.
27360001_zpsa6dua0uu.jpg

It's all about how creative you want to get, I made this front set for a winch bumper.
27360001_zpsa6dua0uu.jpg

Those look nice.

Can you show us then installed?

my winch bumper I want to strength the mounting. my front bumper is only held by three bolts each side thru the stock frame, all in the last few inches of the frame. not strong. there is a steering gear reinforcement plate, but it ends where the bumper mount starts.

I need to some how tie the bumper mount into the frame more, I probably need to do something with the steering gear stiffener also to the bumper can be tied in to the frame more, further back.

The steering box is mounted "inside" the frame rail so it has nothing to do with bumper mounts. Here is the complete bumper, do to a stroke I never finished this Jeep and sold it.
IMG_0549_zpsa9614cb4.jpg

I'll try to get a pic of my set-up. The Jeep is not with me right now. My Bumper is a Detours Slimline bumper that wraps around the sides of the XJ. This is what it looks like unmounted from the back side. Rather than getting a hitch I'm leaning towards a square tubing mount that goes into the frame. But that's just in my head. We'll do whatever's most practical for now. The towed item is really a very small teardrop RV, no big deal. For recovery, well ... if the tubes go deep enough into the frame it should be suitable, right?

underside.jpg

From what I see, the addition of the brackets you showed should be enough for what you are towing. Just make sure the bolts have lock washers and are tight. Check them after a hundred miles or so to make sure they are not loosening up.

Most likely it would be fine without the brackets with the weight you are towing, but I wouldn't risk it.

Here is what came with my Dirtbound kit.............
20180820_184836_zpskxkkjxgt.jpg

20180923_141819_zpsjbcdzxja.jpg

The Dirtbound brackets are ok but the Mojave bumper will bend. I have the diy kit and towing my trailer on Cleghorn it bent where the reverse light cut outs are. I'm running a Curt hitch now.

Back