• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got Stones?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
I have acquired another hobby. My body objects, but I am working on proving I still don't belong in the UOB club.

And I am helping The Varmints build character.

SandStoneBlocks11OPT.jpg

SandStoneBlocks42OPT.jpg

SandStoneBlocks17OPT.jpg

SandStoneBlocks23OPT.jpg

SandStoneBlocks45OPT.jpg

SandStoneBlocks44OPT.jpg

SandStoneBlocks47OPT.jpg

These blocks were old 60 years ago. They were part of a hotel that was demolished in the 1960s. I have no idea how old they were then. I love the moss and lichen growing on them.

They are going to become the side of my irrigation canal. I am hoping there are enough to take care of the entire length of the canal.

I think I have picked up about half the pile. I have done six truckloads so far. I think each load has gone over 2,000 lbs. My guess is that I am moving somewhere between 25-30,000 lbs of stone. One more excuse not to hit the gym.

Of course, The Varmints would like to have me committed at this point...

A. It's too cold to be outside.
B. The stones look too heavy.
C. This is the reason why the world has mechanized equipment.

David Bricker / SYR

A. It's too cold to be outside.
B. The stones look too heavy.
C. This is the reason why the world has mechanized equipment.

David Bricker / SYR

Lamentably, believe it or not, it is not cold enough outside.

The stones are located toward the rear of a really deep lot, but I can't drive to them because the ground is not frozen solid. It would make my life much easier because then I could get a trailer back there with a lower deck height. But no, I have to go about it the hard way. No close access. No trailer. No mechanized equipment.

As to "too heavy", well, that is the challenging part, but it is a sort of challenge I like. All I need is a bit of leverage.

I did a lot of similar work with my dad, building creek crossings out of native stone. That involved a lot of the same labor.

My dad said the family has a long of history of making little ones out of big ones.

Might as well keep the tradition going, right?

:rolleyes:

Make sure you save one stone for each Varmint and tell them they have to take it with them when they move.

I wonder if Varmint #1 would notice if I added one in among his power supplies, oscilloscopes and other electronic boat anchors.

Make sure you save one stone for each Varmint and tell them they have to take it with them when they move.

Give them a chisel and a hammer so they can put their names on them.
That way when the time comes they won't mix them up.

Back