• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things to do before the Crawl.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Things I have to do as of now:

New rear shocks
Fix running lights.

Things I would like to do.....

Strong Box
Lighten
More power

Lower it again: (Might have to look into ORI or Coil overs for this.)

I just mounted a new set of 33 MTR's. Which led me to doing some major bump stopping at both ends. Only other things on my list are new motor mounts and new header.

Engine...

Hopefully finish the wifeys grand wagoneer and find a trailer to haul two jeeps

Load up the Subaru and put it in Drive....Easiest. Crawl. Packing. Ever. :D

Hmmm . . .

Wake up, shower, brush teeth, fill tank and drive across the mountain.

I wonder if they sell non ethanol gas in Harlan.

After watching a video of one of the easy trails that I want to ride, I've put some additional thought into this. I deliver pizzas on rougher roads, but with the steep, narrow grades and the sheer drop offs, I want to be in top shape. I'd hate to lose steering or brakes up there and heights make me nervous at times.

Things I had planned on doing anyway:

• Fix power steering leak
  • Refurbish left rear brake (The front has new calipers, pads, and discs. right rear brake has been refurbished.)
  • Replace plugs and wires
  • Flush cooling system
  • Two new tires for the front
  • Have a professional inspect the steering, suspension, etc. so I will know what needs to be replaced.
I'm expecting a decent tax return this year and I plan to use the majority of it for restoration. No mods, just replacing what is worn out.

My Jeep won't be working as hard as the others there, but I'm open to suggestions as to what I might need to check or replace before the trip. I'd never hear the end of it if I went up there and had to be towed back home and my XJ is my DD/work vehicle.

I have new shocks, water pump, fan clutch, alternator, a handful of new sensors and fresh brakes minus the one pending job. Fuel filter will need replacing by July. I'm sure it would be a good idea to carry an assortment of fluids.

That's all I can think of for now.

-Tires
-Figure out steering issues
-Fab up a rear tire carrier (?)

Tires: should be buying new LTB's and rims in the next month or so

Oil change on jeep and tow rig

Pack up and go!!

Pray we don't have a trailer debacle like last year.

Had cabin booked since last year!!

Already set my fuel and cabin money aside so other than food (We have to eat regardless of where we're at so that's easy) we're good to go!

Floyd is tip top after coming home from Moab! Hooray!

The Blumpkin needs motor and trans mounts. I think that is about all.

Mostly depends on what happens at WinterFest.

Need to throw some 134a in it, probably do that at the campground. A rear locker would be nice. Wouldn't hurt to go over the cooling system.

-Part out parts ZJ for crawl money
-Put parts ZJ engine in XJ to get rid of the one with the hole in the side of the block
-Track down a way to tow the thing up there

Rear end
-Throw D44 under rear
-Mini spool in D44
-Bastard pack w/ new bushings and bolts
-Bump stops
-Repair rear upper shock mounts
-Bar pin eliminators

Front end
-Rebuild RE LCA's and install
-Replace front drive shaft
-Front locker
-Bar pin eliminators to fix shock mounts
-Bump stops
-Simple bumper?

Armor/protection
-Install TC skid
-Track down and install gas tank skid
-Rocker protection
-Rollover protection of some sort
-Frame stiffeners?

JRT sounds like your going to be a busy man between now and the crawl. I did manage to get my mega bump stops mounted. Total of 7inch in the rear with 4 1/2 in up travel and 4 1/2 in the front.
6879FE9D-E4A2-4170-9523-1E78B52E76F2.jpg

Last edited:
JRT sounds like your going to be a busy man between now and the crawl.

Yeah hopefully Spring break is going to be my saving grace. Honestly the biggest challenge is going to be finding a way to get it towed up the mountain. Although I believe a buddy of mine may be able to help me as long as I can track down a trailer that can fit both my XJ and his Bronco on it, which would be a challenge in and of itself

Fix my tcase (in progress)

Replace control arms

Whatever else decides to go wrong between now and then.

Whatever else decides to go wrong between now and then.

Oh how true...

For my first crawl with yuns, I hope to have the Durango steering box installed along with my new front bump stops this week.

But hopefully before July I'll get my rock rails built up and installed and IF I'm lucky get the 4.56 gear sets in. 33" with 3.55's against the AX-15 4.0, it's a bit sluggish.

Back