• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those around the Chattanooga, Tn area

88XjLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know some good places to ride around the Chattanooga area? I am sick of going to Prentice Cooper, McDowell's Big Fork(about to be closed if not already), and Mt. Etna. I don't really know of any other places besides those 3. I guess I'm going to have to start making my own.

88XjLaredo said:
Does anyone know some good places to ride around the Chattanooga area? I am sick of going to Prentice Cooper, McDowell's Big Fork(about to be closed if not already), and Mt. Etna. I don't really know of any other places besides those 3. I guess I'm going to have to start making my own.

thats about it . oh , theres some trails on flattop mt. up around soddy daisy . i haven't heard that big fork is closing .... but , i have heard that there going to shut down some of mt. aetna this next year . (hate to see this happen )

I know years ago there was a ride that use to take place there. It wasn't at any of those places though. I forget the name of it. Was sponsored by a big Jeep dealer in AL I think.

Ya ive only been to Big forks, aetna, and prentice cooper, but I dont know my way around PC very well and last time i was there i just ended updriving on dirt trails and never really found anything good. It seems like I hear Aetna is always about to close, does it have somehting to do with the entrance being at cummings cove?
Also anyone got a tc skid plate for sale around here?

Last edited:
Rt= For those around the biattanooga, Tn psea

Ynu c~wld always come up to Knoxville and ride with us at Windrock!

Cummings Cove has alot to do with the attempted closings of Mt Etna. I guess all the rich folks(Zach Wamp lives in their) don't want us bringing our "loud, offensive-looking redneck trail rigs" up there. Also, it has become kind of a shady area from what I've seen and heard, with lots of drinking and drug use. Not to mention, all the trash people haul up there and throw all over the place. Hell, I've found tv's, computers, and fridges just to name a few. McDowell's Big Fork is closing I just don't know when. They have paved the main trail road and have started clearing the land to build houses along the side of the mountain. If you haven't seen the sunset overlooking Sequatchie Valley from this area, I highly recommend you do it very soon.

I will come and wheel in Windrock next year when I transfer to UTK.

Zach Wamps daughter used to go to my school, and there is a whole lot of trash on Aetna. Even old trucks that have been lit on fire and have been left there. Last time I was in Big Forks was probably about a month ago and the main trail was still dirt, but is the entrance on the signal mountain side at janies tavern still the same...thats the more fun way anyway.

The only problem with riding Monteagle is that it is all private land. If you want to ride, get into contact with the Damn Locals 4x4 Club at www.damnlocals.com and you can ride with them sometime. They are all really cool guys and have permission from the landowners to be there.

Ghost said:
I know years ago there was a ride that use to take place there. It wasn't at any of those places though. I forget the name of it. Was sponsored by a big Jeep dealer in AL I think.
I think that was the Rosser Roundup's...I was there in '99. Not sure what year they stopped it.

Coppinger's Cove is a Huge place relatively near-by. Monteagle used to be incredible, but the Rosser Event that was mentioned in an earlier post brought in too many people that tried to come back on their own. Most of those trails are gone because of that. If you know where to look, there are trails in the Ocoee and Hiwassee areas of the Cherokee Forest. Dayton has Hummerland and if you know someone in the Scenic City Club you could go there with them. It's the hardest of Hard Core!

I'll be living on flat top at the end of December, and I fully intend to get out and do some exploring.......at least on the ATV if nothing else. I'd like to find some good hunting land up there too.

My buddy told me a place that is on mountain creek road (the road that the W road conntects to) but it is a trail that runs along power lines. He says theres a gravel road that you go up that is right next to a big power generator thing.

sooo, i recently bought a 98 classic and i want to get more off road time in before i start moddin my xj. i live in cleveland and have only found some construction sites, like behind gray epperson dealer, and in chattanooga behind roadtec on manufactuers rd. im specin. some lift kits and tires what should be on my shopping list. i am really new to "the scene" and i have this addiction to my jeep and getting outside and dirty wit it. some suggestions would definately be appreciated. i just moved to the area from connecticut.

I would first suggest not going to contruction sites. But the place on manufacturers road, is that a trail?, becasue i have seen a trail that goes behind a factory but as I went into it I noticed it was very overgrown. Is this what you are talking about?

yeah...im def. gonna stay away from them. are you talking about on pineville rd. or manufacturers rd. the place i went to is i think an extension of tenn. rand. the entrance is on hamm rd. near the waste water treatment plant. anyplaces for stock xjs in the area.

Im now a pic whore since I have a few pictures of my jeep on my computer. So if you see me creeping around honk or make me pull over..haha
jeep2.jpg

Chattxj said:
Im now a pic whore since I have a few pictures of my jeep on my computer.
Nuthin wrong with postin a pic or two....I'm partial to Silver myself...
FallforAll06007.jpg

:wave:

Back