• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Sport A/C Control Question

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I've just started having a strange problem with the A/C in my '93 2-door.... I generally leave the a/c slider control on the "max" position, along with the temperature slider control to the far left hand side (the coldest setting), and with the fan set on usually, the first speed setting - which I leave like that even when I turn off the ignition. Just recently, sometimes when I start the car, the fan will not switch on, nor will I hear the a/c compressor turn on.... then other times, the a/c compressor comes on, but no air comes out of any of the vents....

Do I just need to replace the a/c control in the dash, or is there something else that I might be missing ?

Also, after a big storm down here in Miami, while I was away in Michigan for work, I opened the passenger side door and found about a half inch of water soaking the passenger side carpet. All the windows were up and the doors were locked, so I don't know where the water could come in.... Are XJ's front window rubbers known to leak ? The problem is, I will most likely be moving to Michigan in a few months, and need to make sure that the Jeep isn't leaking when it rains, b/c it'll be snowing in a few months up in the Detroit....

Any help is appreciated in advance.

B Rgds,

Quartewave

The motor could have gotton wet (or the connector to it) which could lead to the intermittent operation of the fan. Water on electrical connectors can cause all sorts of wierd operations. Was the Jeep parked on a level spot when the leak occured. I had a wrangler that leaked like you described if it was parked with one side lower than the other. The low side floor would fill with a couple inches of water in heavy rain whenever it was unlevel. Turned out to be a leak in the cowl area.

im expieriencing the same problem in my 97 2 dr XJ, fan doesnt blow, then it will for a second, then its off, i found that when im going highway speeds a little bit of air comes out, i replaced the relay, inside the glove box, and it still doesnt do any thing, u guys think its the blower motor? are there any other components that could have gone to cause this problem?

Once you are moving at speed, air will come thru the heater plenum due to positive pressure at the base of the windshield. In many older cars, the fan had an "off" position that would still allow air to move thru the heater box due to this principle.

So.....the real issue is why is your heater blower motor not working. Start with the simple stuff---check fuses first. Then dig out the wiring diagram, and a voltmeter, and start probing connections.

If blower control is set to Max and the fan don't blow, the check for the voltage at the blower connection in the out side of firewall, if voltage is OK your blower motor is dead. If it works at Max and do not at lowers speeds the problem is the speed control resistance and termal fuse in the lower passenger side.

awesome, thats what i was thinking, is it a total bitch to replace the blower motor? will a 96 xj blower motor or a 98 grand cherokee blower motor work?

camarorss350 said:
awesome, thats what i was thinking, is it a total bitch to replace the blower motor? will a 96 xj blower motor or a 98 grand cherokee blower motor work?
I cannot say if the blower frrom a Grand will fit. I would guess that all blowers prior to the body refresh in 97 would interchange, and those after the refresh would also interchange, but across the change in 97--I dunno.

A boneyard would have an interchange manual that would know for sure, I would bet.

It is not difficult to replace the blower motor -- there are a couple of recent threads on trouble shooting and replacing.

You mentioned the A/C operation, do you have the same intermittant fan operation with the heater setting?

Pelican said:
It is not difficult to replace the blower motor -- there are a couple of recent threads on trouble shooting and replacing.

You mentioned the A/C operation, do you have the same intermittant fan operation with the heater setting?

Good point if moving to Detroit:lecture:

yep, doesnt blow ac on or ac off, heat or no heat, also my airbag light is blinking on and off... coincidence or is this in the same circut? kinda sucks, bout ght xj 3 days ago, and it was fine on the ride home, and BAM nothing blew, and the airbag light started acting up.... would u recommend replacing the blower motor, then going from there? also does any one know what kinda voltage should be going to the blower motor, i want to check it with my voltometer when i replace it. thanks for your help guys... and one more thing, should i take it to the dealer and have them look at it? i dont want my air bag popping out rendomly or something lol

camarorss350 said:
yep, doesnt blow ac on or ac off, heat or no heat, also my airbag light is blinking on and off... coincidence or is this in the same circut? kinda sucks, bout ght xj 3 days ago, and it was fine on the ride home, and BAM nothing blew, and the airbag light started acting up.... would u recommend replacing the blower motor, then going from there? also does any one know what kinda voltage should be going to the blower motor, i want to check it with my voltometer when i replace it. thanks for your help guys... and one more thing, should i take it to the dealer and have them look at it? i dont want my air bag popping out rendomly or something lol
Blower motors on XJ's don't take the dive too often. More common is the blower resistor network in line to the blower from the switch. Of course, connectors can cause problems even with perfectly good switches, resistors, and motors.

I would start with the voltmeter before shucking out the bux for a blower motor.

found the problem, still kinda wierd tho lol, the AC relay behind the glove box was rigged so that one wire was going from one pin to another, i dont know why, but i bought a new relay and put it in and it didnt work, so i resorted to using the new relay with the wiring rig, and it works fine now?? um, im very confused lol... but hey , the AC works

Back