• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling and A/C note and question

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
I've had my 98XJ since new in Dec of 97, it came with idiot lights, no gauges. Early last winter I did a gauge panel replacement so I can now see things I did not see before. My A/C was on the fritz for the past month and I found out it was empy of R134 the other nite so I drew it down and recharged it from -30lbs, added pag and then the 134a, A/C runs better than it ever did. Now normally my engine runs dead center in the heat range right at 210 all the time. Since I recharged the system I have noticed that my engine is now running below that, looks like ~200 and that is with the A/C off, no compressor or aux fan running, with the A/C on it does not go above 210 but moves a bit between 200 and 210.
My question is what temp is the freon thats in the system when it's not running and just idling. Could the temp be lower and somehow heatsinking the ouside air and be aiding cooling, kind of precooling the air before it hits the radiator ?? Any ideas...

The only time I can see freon changing temp. is when the pressure changes. Other than ambient heat or mechanical sources.
If your freon is leaking out of the condensor it might make it cooler, but not for long.

Back