• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sneaky Pete?

jeepnfreak

NAXJA Forum User
I have read several posts on rear main seal replacment. Almost everyone says they messed up the first seal trying to push it in. I have a tool called a Sneaky Pete made to pull seals in and out without dropping crank, but I dont see too many posts on using it for the 4.0. Has anyone had any success with one of these tools on a 4.0? I did read where someone said they (Sneaky Pete) are for small block chevy with rope seals, I have several sbc, some 1 peice rear main others 2 peice, and not one has a rope seal, or leaky rear main for that matter. I know I couldn't turn the crank while pushing in a seal, but I may be able to while pulling. What am I missing? Thanks Don

Rope seals are ancient.

You dont have to drop the crank to swap the rear main on a 4.0. Drop starter and pan. Remove oil pump and rear main cap. Push/pull old seal out. Push new seal in. Reverse removed parts and drive.

What ever you use to push the old one out, make sure it is plastic. You don't want to score the crank. Your can use the old seal to push the new one in place. lube it well. It can be a challenge.

Back