• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ sound system

Mar

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2000 XJ to replace my stolen ’88. I have a question concerning the Infinity sound system that is on the 2000:

Both rear speakers don’t seem to generate any low frequency i.e. no bass. They actually sound really lousy. The bass slider control on the radio affects the front speakers only without any effect on the rear.
The mid and treble slider controls change the front as well as the rear sound.

I would like to know if this is normal to this system, or if I have a problem with the radio or the amplifier? Any advice how to verify which one it is?

Thank you.

i've got a 99 and a 2000 with the infinity system and the rear speakers sound pretty bad, no bass like you mentioned. the speakers themselves are ok, there is just no volume behind the speakers to give you any low end. i've heard you can stuff some acoustic insulation behind them that will help a little, but i haven't tried it.

I replaced the stock rear speakers with Polk 5.25s and the sound is much better, not a lot of bass though. I wouldn't expect a lot of bass out of a 5.25 speaker though.

My 98 XJ with the Infinity sound package with the external amp under the seat seems to have much more power and bass to the fronts. I am assuming the the amp is wired to the fronts and not the rears. Does anyone know if this is correct?

It may be the way the head unit is designed. I've read some articles that suggest the front speakers are the ones a driver hears more, and that the rear speakers are more useful as sort of "fill-in" sound. Perhaps the stock head unit isn't designed to send a lot of bass to the rear speakers?

That's what's called a SWAG, by the way. (Scientific wild-a$$ guess).

Another quick question regarding the Infinity Sound Package in 97 up XJs.

If I change my head unit to an aftermarket unit, will I be able to use the amp or will I have to rewire the speakers to the new unit? Thanks.

Your “stolen ’88” made it safely south of the border - hidden aboard a flatbed load of maple syrup. The conversion to a purple lowrider is almost complete – including sweet swivel chairs and a chain-link steering wheel.
Please let us know when you get your stereo fixed so we can pick up that one up too. :laugh3:

Back