NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 13th, 2019, 19:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: The Plumbus

i've wanted to get those metalcloak springs, interested to see how you like them
Old September 14th, 2019, 16:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmyers View Post
I have not found somewhere locally that sells a bearing puller for these. I'm considering taking a torch to them
Run 3 or 4 weld beads equally spaced on the top to bottom and they will come off easily.
Old September 14th, 2019, 16:34
NAXJA Forum User

on THEM top to bottom
Old September 14th, 2019, 17:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktool View Post
Run 3 or 4 weld beads equally spaced on the top to bottom and they will come off easily.
I cut down a groove perpendicular carefully with a cutoff wheel then broke through with a punch. Seemed to work fine with no damage to the carrier. I'll try your technique next time
Old October 18th, 2019, 10:37
NAXJA Forum User

Been busy on the Jeep for a few weeks now.

Stripped the interior to install sound deadening. Found some light rust in both driver and passenger floor boards. Didn't get pictures of the finished product, but I put sound deadening (butyl) on the roof, all doors and trunk, and the entire floor to help with noise/vibration and insulation... it has made a HUGE difference. Product used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installed the lift, Hood Chicken, all new hard brake lines, new master cylinder, non abs proportioning valve, JB Conversions SYE, front ds in the rear, IRO double shear track bar, and Napier V2 flares. Still need to cycle the suspension and measure for bump stops and rebuild the front axle.

Ready for KOH :

Booty:
fullsizeoutput_171d by Jacob Myers, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_171c by Jacob Myers, on Flickr

Is the lack of clearance behind the rear tires typical with Napier flares or did I just mount them carelessly?
fullsizeoutput_171f by Jacob Myers, on Flickr

fullsizeoutput_171b by Jacob Myers, on Flickr

After lifting it I'm hearing mild grinding noises from the front (I think) when coasting downhill with a slight amount of throttle applied. Going to remove the front DS and see if it persists. I suspect the old u-joints aren't liking the new angles.

Planning on making a tire carrier primarily out of 2x3 rectangular steel, mocking the Dirtbound setup.
Old October 18th, 2019, 15:36
NAXJA Forum User

The Plumbus

Check your transmission mount. It could be causing the "grinding" noise. Typically at light decel and acel. Once you lift, a bad mount will transfer vibrations that weren't there before.
Old October 18th, 2019, 21:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubber3 View Post
Check your transmission mount. It could be causing the "grinding" noise. Typically at light decel and acel. Once you lift, a bad mount will transfer vibrations that weren't there before.
I replaced the transmission mount when I did the motor mounts. I've read that the mount I got (Anchor) is known to be a POS
My exhaust pipe is hitting the new crossmember but the sound I'm hearing is 100% a driveline noise and I can distinguish it from the exhaust tapping on the crossmember