• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Make three universal-fit XJ/MJ DIY clinometers for $2.49! Dialup, you're screwed.

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, let me start out by saying that I believe I'm the first one to ever come up with this mod, which makes me freakin' awesome. It should work on any year Cherokee or Comanche with a functional stock rearview mirror. Total cost to make all three was just $2.49, but could run a bit higher if you don't have some of the items on hand. Set aside about three or four hours before attempting this project for drinking beer.

The first thing I had to do was drive over to Pep Boys to obtain the one part I didn't have. Note that individual XJs, MJs, and stores may vary in appearance, location, and specification, but this should be good enough to get the idea across:

clinometer06.jpg

Next up was figuring out exactly the components that would be required to put this together. The parts list looked like this (and you'll want the paper, too):

clinometer01.jpg

The first step of the installation itself was to install the clinometer needle. Note that I used 'New Car' scented trees - they had others that were only $2.39 a pack, but I decided to splurge the extra dime for top-notch accuracy:

clinometer02.jpg

With that out of the way, it was time to build the gauge. Essentially, you'll use the pens to modify the paper as shown below. This was easily the worst part of the whole process, because trying to write while half-drunk isn't always a walk in the park. I'm pretty happy with the end result, though:

clinometer03.jpg

Okay, now the next thing you're going to do is cut the gauge you just made away from the rest of the paper. Sorry I don't have a picture of this part, but I had to run back upstairs to take a leak and forgot to get one when I got back. Anyway, you can see what it looks like below - and how to use the tape to attach it to the bottom of the mirror:

clinometer04.jpg

Congratulations! You've now made a fully-functional clinometer for $2.49, and are ready to go test it out! Here's a detail shot of the final result on my 2000 Limited - I think it's pretty factory-looking:

clinometer05.jpg

Now, remember that you purchased a three-pack of the pine tree air fresheners - just repeat this mod twice more and you've got no fewer than three clinometers! You can even reuse the same sheet of paper you made the gauge face from. I'd recommend attaching them to children and/or housepets when finished.

Incidentally, I'm working on a version to show pitch and yaw that tapes up to the driver's side window. Got a few bugs to work out yet, but I'll post more photos as work progresses. Might even get around to offering a few for sale if there's enough interest...

Last edited:
Re: Make three universal-fit XJ/MJ DIY clinometers for $2.49! Dialup, you're screwed.

very nice!

Re: Make three universal-fit XJ/MJ DIY clinometers for $2.49! Dialup, you're screwed.

Thats probably the coolest thing Ive ever seen..EVER

1996cc said:
We need some action shots in the red zone.

lets wait til he aint half drunk as he stated earlier in his post where he was making the guage face.

then heck yah.

Casm, you are the best ever. It actually makes to much sense. :clap:

Thanks for all the positive feedback, folks - it really makes me happy to know that so many people find this simple modification useful.

Frank Z said:
Got any "Blame the Spotter" pics?

Not as of yet - due to massive amounts of inebriation, it's only been tested (and trail-calibrated) on the parking stop at the end of my space. However, rough tests show that it can be manually-manipulated into those ranges, so we at least know that the gauge is functional.

Can Green Tree's be used?

Technically, yes. However, it's the scent that's important. As long as it's a green tree saturated with 'New Car', you should be OK. Having said that, I haven't tested with anything else yet so YMMV.

1996cc said:
We need some action shots in the red zone.

Bear in mind that there are two red zones - 'Aw Crap' and 'Blame Spotter'. While I strive to give real-life results, I can't be held responsible if my camera is stolen by drunks in a bar in Hollywood after I loaned it to a friend and neither of us can really afford another one right now. Having said that, it might be possible to get some cellphone photos in the future. Thanks for the idea!

stewie said:
lets wait til he aint half drunk as he stated earlier in his post where he was making the guage face.

then heck yah.

As it stands, I'm no longer half-drunk - I'm rather plastered, but that's neither here nor there. I assure you that once sobriety returns I'll be more than willing to show the unit under fire, as it were.

YTMND!

CommandoXJ96 said:
thats not a REAL mod - there were no zip ties OR duct tape used.

You can diss me all you want on this, but seeing as how this didn't affect brakes or steering I don't see the need for duct tape or similar.

Ramsey said:

I <3 teh intarwebz :)

Does this need to be calibrated by hemisphere or will it work globally?

Man that was a good one! You made me LOL!!
Keep up the good work!
Tony

anodyne33 said:
Does this need to be calibrated by hemisphere or will it work globally?

The only real change I can see being necessary is that you'd use metrically-scented trees in metric countries. I suppose an SAE tree would work in a metric country, but you'd need to recalibrate the gauge in order for it to be accurate.

You need to expand upon it, like adding tabs to the TOP of the mirror. Those should look like:
#$%@$%^*&$%&@#$$%^@#$@$^!@#$

Do you have the CAD program you used? That's a bit over my head without the assistance of computers.

Chris

Being and engineer, I think you need to add some dampening to the meter movement.

xjj33p3r said:
You need to expand upon it, like adding tabs to the TOP of the mirror. Those should look like:
#$%@$%^*&$%&@#$$%^@#$@$^!@#$

Interesting idea. Development's underway for the production version, so if I end up incorprating that idea I'll definitely mail one out to ya!

ckh550 said:
Do you have the CAD program you used? That's a bit over my head without the assistance of computers.

Believe it or not, that was all hand-fabricated without so much as a rough sketch on the back of a cocktail napkin beforehand. Just sorta started in on it and that's how it ended up. Having said that, I'm expecting production models to use OpenOffice (or possibly The GIMP) for laying out the gauge faces.

old_man said:
Being and engineer, I think you need to add some dampening to the meter movement.

Working on it. I was thinking of using steering stabilisers connected to the pine tree that bolt in to the A-pillar for that.

Back