NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 1st, 2015, 07:14
NAXJA Forum User

at the end of my rope with overheating issues.

I'm running a 350 chevy in my '88 -- and can't shake an overheating issue. I had the truck running for a few years with a griffin rad, and it ran super cool, no matter what the temps -- dead of summer 95 degrees and humid, truck ran at a rock steady 190 degrees. Since then, the griffin rad sprung a leak, and I replaced with a novack kryo-flow, with integrated shroud with 3 e fans. I'm having chronic overheating issues on the highway... drove it yesterday in about 95 degree heat. It takes a while, but temps keep creeping around 210, then 230.. then I hit traffic, and I was done. Had to pull over and let everything cool off.

so, before I return this rad to novack, here's what I've done. Let me know if I'm missing anything:
1) pulled *everything* away from the front of the truck. I removed the Winch, lights, everything. nothing impeading airflow. didn't help.
2) drained, flushed, and replaced antifreeze. changed all hoses in case there was some blockage I was missing. no difference.
3) pulled the thermostat completely. Took a little longer to overheat, but other than that, no difference.
4) replaced water pump. No difference.
5) I *do* have a stock a/c condenser and trans cooler in front of the rad -- but I had the same set up using the griffin rad, and it didn't cause issues. Just to make sure, I drained the a/c, pulled the condenser, and tried running without it. No difference (can't really pull the trans cooler, since the kryo flo rad doesn't have a trans input,but that thing is pretty small)
6) I've confirmed all three e-fans are running properly, and kick on right at 190degrees.

is there ANYTHING else I can try? I'm sure novak will replace the rad, but I want to run down everything before I go this route.
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:17
NAXJA #1499

Re: at the end of my rope with overheating issues.

If you had success with a griffin and you switched to a novak and now you have issues, I think you've found your problem.

It's obviously also a contributing factor that the coolant system and it's components are a few years older than they were when you first did your engine swap, but I think the issue is probably not enough radiator.
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:37
NAXJA Forum User

I'm grasping at straws here. You seem to have covered the basics.

Verify your ignition timing, especially your mechanical advance (higher rpm cruising) if your dizzy has mech advance. Too advanced will run hot.

Verify proper air/fuel mixture. Too lean will run hot.

Verify proper airflow direction. Make sure your fans are pulling through and not pushing air through the radiator (assuming your fans are on the back side of the radiator). Ive seen this before and it will cool fine at lower speeds and overheat at highway speeds.

Make sure you used the proper water pump for your application. Standard rotation versus reverse rotation makes a huge difference.

Have your radiator cap pressure tested at a Vatozone and make sure it seats properly on your rad. filler neck.

Thats all I've got...best of luck!!!
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeep View Post
If you had success with a griffin and you switched to a novak and now you have issues, I think you've found your problem.

It's obviously also a contributing factor that the coolant system and it's components are a few years older than they were when you first did your engine swap, but I think the issue is probably not enough radiator.
To be clear, I got both rads from novack. They had qc issues with the griffins (they spring leaks constantly... which is exactly what happened to mine) and switched to kryo flows. I know a bunch of guys htat have the kryos in same application (chevy sb in a cherokee), and zero issues.
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:46
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZOMATIC View Post
I'm grasping at straws here. You seem to have covered the basics.

Verify your ignition timing, especially your mechanical advance (higher rpm cruising) if your dizzy has mech advance. Too advanced will run hot.

Verify proper air/fuel mixture. Too lean will run hot.

Verify proper airflow direction. Make sure your fans are pulling through and not pushing air through the radiator (assuming your fans are on the back side of the radiator). Ive seen this before and it will cool fine at lower speeds and overheat at highway speeds.

Make sure you used the proper water pump for your application. Standard rotation versus reverse rotation makes a huge difference.

Have your radiator cap pressure tested at a Vatozone and make sure it seats properly on your rad. filler neck.

Thats all I've got...best of luck!!!
Thanks... should've added that:
1) proper air flow direction confirmed (I checked that off in the first round of fixes)
2) water pump is from an '88 silverado... which did not use reverse cooling
3) tried a brand new cap (13 pounds)

havne't checked timing/mixture issues...I guess since I'm not wheeling this weekend I can try that...
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:57
NAXJA Forum User

Is your intake hose collapsing?
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:09
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Knee View Post
Is your intake hose collapsing?
nope. rock solid.
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:37
Associate

get rid of the E-fans.
Old August 1st, 2015, 09:47
NAXJA Forum User

I have a novack in my 5.9 swap. I also have hot-running problems as well.

I'm using Derale 4000 cfm fans.. they draw a hell of a lot of air across that radiator. It stays @200-210 for the most part until I run a hill then it climbs towards 250 pretty quick, then cools back off after the climb is done. Runs hot with the ac as well.

it's tough dropping 700 bucks on a radiator that they say will cool a 650 hp engine and still have problems with only 215hp.. I think it's marketing BS.

I wanted a B-cool but they stopped producing the XJ rad.
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:03
NAXJA Forum User

Try Ron Davis in AZ. I've used his radiators and intercoolers for years. Here is the link to his XJ radiator

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/radgallery.htm#Jeep

Really nice people to deal with and again just a superior product to anything i've seen.
Old August 1st, 2015, 10:36
NAXJA Forum User

Exhaust manifold gasket/donut? (Blowing exhaust gasses on the block)
Spark plugs? (Ive had spark plugs worn down so badly it caused a perpetual overheat)
Old August 1st, 2015, 11:15
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockclimber View Post
get rid of the E-fans.
I think that may make it run a tad hotter... :-)
Old August 1st, 2015, 11:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcm View Post
Exhaust manifold gasket/donut? (Blowing exhaust gasses on the block)
Spark plugs? (Ive had spark plugs worn down so badly it caused a perpetual overheat)
I'll check the plugs, although they have less than 3k miles on them. No issues on the exhaust manifold. solid seal.
Old August 1st, 2015, 11:38
NAXJA Forum User

Fix the Griffin and reinstall it
Old August 1st, 2015, 11:44
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg222 View Post
I think that may make it run a tad hotter... :-)
get a mech fan, or move the rad to a place where you can get a larger E-fan. I don't care what the CFM on the fans says, there are not Efans available that fit in the front of a cherocar that pull enough air.