• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power antenna override switch

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody wire one up?

Found this in another thread:
There is an antenna relay in the system, that changes the power/ground to the wires, for up and down.

The down position is defualt or park position.
White is power down, green is ground down.
Grn is power up and gry is ground up.

Depending on which position the relay is.

When the radio is powered up, it actuates the relay.

So it looks like putting a switch in the white wire would allow you to keep the antenna in the up position. Where will I find the relay and these wires?
The ice this winter will kill I am worried unless I just make it stay up.

91XJ BTW.

Andy

87manche said:
why not turn on the radio, then unplug the motor after it's up?

could do that, just thought a switch would be nice for the times I did want to put it down.

Andy

All you really need is to add a switch between the 12v switched and Power Antenna line in the radio harness. Thats likely the easiest way. With 12v power the antenna goes up. When power drops out the antenna goes down.

That would work to keep it down, but not up. You would have to feed 12v to it while the ignition is off and drain the battery.

Andy

andyr354 said:
That would work to keep it down, but not up. You would have to feed 12v to it while the ignition is off and drain the battery.

Andy

spobi. if the power is cut while the antenna is up, it stays up, if the power is cut while the antenna is down it stays down.

mine is up 24/7 and its bent as hell from branches hitting it. still picks up stations tho.

the best thing i have done on my old car was get a "motorola type" adapter from radio shack and wire your stereo antenna thru your CB antenna inline with the 5 watt amp from the CB radio and pick up stations from about 500 miles away :)

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
spobi. if the power is cut while the antenna is up, it stays up, if the power is cut while the antenna is down it stays down.
-Tim

No, because he was talking about switching the trigger from the head unit. When you apply power it goes up, cut power it goes down.

Now disconnect either the main power or ground to the motor on the antenna and that would stop it wherever it is.

I just need to know where the connector is. Isn't there one in the interior on the passengers side somewhere?

there is a fuse for just the antenna. i just put the antenna up then pull the fuse and it stays up.

ktm racer 419 said:
there is a fuse for just the antenna. i just put the antenna up then pull the fuse and it stays up.

I will look into that, thanks. Putting a switch between the two terminals in the fuse pannel would be simple enough.

Back