• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swap Info Needed

Dan Starc

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Folks

I am helping a friend in a future transfer...he's got an '89 XJ 4.0/AW4/NP242 combo...how easy would it be to transfer all this to another XJ that has a V6/manual/NP207 or something like that?

Thanks in advance!

Since you're going from the 2.8 V6-60, that tells me that you are trying to drop a 242 into an 84/85/86 XJ - bear in mind that the front clip was redesigned in 1987 to accommodate the significantly longer 242 block...

If you don't mind the job, it's certainly doable, and there are those here who have done it (pity I don't have any names offhand, but if any of you are out there, any way I could see a write-up? I'll tell you why later... Details, please.)

If you want an easier way to go about the job, you've got a couple options:

1) Another V6. The entire V6-60-degree series will work, you just have to make sure you get the Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) versions - like from the S10 or F-body (Camaro/Firebird,) as the FWD starter is on the wrong side of the block. The 3.1 improves many of the issues with the 2.8, and the aftermarket 3.4 (GM Performance Crate Motor) is a viable option if you are not subject to the Kalifornia Kommisar of Smog.

2) Check out Advance Adapters (www.advanceadapter.com, I think - Google to be sure) for their SBChevvy installation kit. They've got a bolt-in cradle to adapt the mounts to accept a SBChevvy plant, and that may or may not work with the V6-90's as well (think the old 231 Grand National, perhaps?) AA will be happy to provide more information. If you are going to convert to SBChevvy, you'll need to change transmissions - either a decent stick (the NV4500 will work, but you'd better have a welder...) or the THM700R4 is a good candidate, if you take care to have it well-built. The concept of the box is good, but in stock trim I find it a bit weak for V8 and truck applications. Selection of parts and friction is the key issue for an effective buildup of the THM700R4, and you get a good 4-speed auto out of the deal. There may or may not be an adapter for SBC to AW4 - check with AA to see.

How about that for ideas? Let us know what you choose and where you go with it.

I just found a group at Yahoo! for V8 XJ swaps - groups.yahoo.com/group/v8cherokeeowners. Haven't gone thru their board yet, but they'll probably be worth looking in to...

5-90

I did it. You have to cut off the metal cowl behind the headlights and transfer a set from a donor vehicle. You have to fab a lower radiator bracket, You have to change out the hood, and you have to do a little firewall moving with a BFH. If you are good with bodywork and have a donor, its not that bad. All the holes for the engine mounts are already there. Go figure, they already had the mounts designed for everything three years before they added them to the vehicle. All the mounting holes for all the emissions and plumbing are already there.

If you are really interested, I can scan a few pix I have of the various stages in the swap, but it will take me a few days to lay hands on them.

Tom makes it sound like a simple three sentences...:p That's not how I understood it to work :D

OUCH. Sounds like lots of extra work which could be avoided simply by getting another 4.0/AW4 combo XJ...

Thanks for all of your input guys!!!

Back