• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seperating Engine from Manual Tranny

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
I have a manual tranny (88 4.0). The FSM and Chiltons state to remove the flywheel/converter housing access cover prior to removing the top two bolts of the bell housing and loosening the others. Is this present on a manual tansmission? I keep reading about an inspection panel for the auto from which you can gain access to the torque converter bolts. However, the only thing I see on my XJ is a thin plate between the engine and bell housing (with no inspection panel) that covers the flywheel and appears to require removal of all the bell housing bolts in order to remove this plate. Should the engine easily seperate from my manual tranny by removing only the bell housing bolts, or are there any other bolts/connections in that area I need to remove first? I assume the clutch plate will come off with the flywheel? Sorry if these questions seem basic, but this is my first engine swap.

Thankfully, a search helped me to identify the funny heads on the top two bell housing bolts (E12 Torx bolts). I guess I'll be tool shopping early tomorrow.

You are correct, there is no inspection plate. It's more of a dust/debris shield and the bellhousing must be removed to remove the shield. If I remember correctly, that shield doesn't need to be removed. But the bolts (screws?) in the bottom of it do. Once you get all the bellhousing bolts out and the starter removed, it should pretty much come off. There are two alignment dowels that are kinda a press fit so you may have to work it off of those. And yes, the clutch disc and pressure plate are bolted to the flywheel, so they won't come out with the tranny. The slave/throwout unit will . It's not too bad a job really, just be careful and don't get in a hurry.

Dale

i replaced the transmission in a 93 manual.
it seemed easier to seperate the t-case from the transmission before hand and not having the extra weight.
also it may be easier if you remove the exhause down pipe. I didn't remove it, but then again I am not swapping engines.
the top inverted torx boltd are a pain in the rear. you will probably need a swivel and about 9-12" of extensions. and wear gloves. I got a couple cuts from when the bolts finaly broke loose and my hands slammed against the transmission and whatever else was right there. and of course before you do that you have to remove the shifter from the transmission. four 12mm bolts hold it on... may want to lower it for that as well, not easy to get to.

Back