• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ring gear removal and reinstall

Down under

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone enlighten me as to the importance of the common practice of marking the ring gear to the carrier, when separating, and re-fitting it...
I can't imagine they are balanced in the factory assemble????
What are the issues of fitting a replacement ring gear to the carrier....
Newbie, but can't comprehend the I importance.
Totally understand the reason for thread alignment in the carriers bearing caps regarding orientation.
:dunno:

Ring and pinions are matched sets for one... Shouldn't just change one or the other.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Are you talking about taking the ring gear off and putting the same one back on? If so when doing this you should mark the gear to put it back on the carrier in the same orientation. This is to ensure gear run-out stays the same. This isn't something everyone does and I'm sure that's acceptable but if it can help why not do it?

If you are talking about replacing the ring gear due to breakage or something the answer is different. The pinion gear would need to be replaced as well due to the matched set nature I mentioned in the prior post.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You ring and pinion have the tightest tolerances in the whole vehicle. If you take any part of it off, you need to do a full gear pattern check. Ring and pinions are not for inexperienced mechanics. They take special tools and tons of patience and experience to get adjusted correctly.

Cheers guys, yeah I was talking about re-fitting the same one.
I'm about to replace a carrier that I got the matching pinion for.
But I will leave the original pinion in and swap ring gears over to keep matched.

I have not specifically heard of "marking the ring gear to the carrier" but then again most people do not remove their ring gear only to re-install it on the same carrier.

When fitting the ring gear to the carrier, it should be spun in the housing and run out should be measured. If there is sufficient run out, installation guides have you turn the ring gear on the carrier to try to reduce runout.

If you swap the carrier, you will have to do a whole new gear setup and will need to press off the bearings and re shim them on the new carrier. They will not be the same most of the time. This is a time intensive and PIA if you do not have the correct tools and even then it is a PIA.

Around here it will cost you a minimum of $200-$400.

Just swapping everything over is a crap shoot and I give you a 1 in 10 chance of not destroying your gears.

Yeah, it's on an 8.25. It was a bit of test of patience dialing it all in correctly before with the LSD carrier. But swapped over to open with a Spartan.
I just couldn't see the big fuss over putting the ring gear back on exactly the same bolt line up to the carrier.

Back