• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating no more... I hope

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
This summer and part of last summer I've been fighting the overheating bug. Thought it was the electric fan, got that working, thought it was the mech fan clutch, replaced that and replaced everything else. This past august when I was in Moab I barely managed to keep the jeep out of the 'red' zone when wheelin in the near 100 degree temps....

Finally, a few weeks ago when I tore the motor out looking for a 'knocking' noise that I had (which turned out to be a broken flex plate), I took the radiator in, there was a small leak at one of the inlets on the radiator which the shop said was enough to not keep the proper pressures in the cooling system and would allow the jeep to run warm. That and all the mud compacted into the radiator.

Then as I was getting ready to put new bearings and rings into what I thought was a stock 93 motor (blew my 95 motor up, this 93 motor was supposed to be stock w/74k when I put it in back in March of 2000), found the crank turned .010 and the pistons to be .040 so its been rebuilt and punched out which also leads me to believe that would make it run a little warmer than stock....

so since its a trail jeep, with the fixed radiator and everything else new i'm throwing a 160 tstat in it and thinking that my cooling problems are solved.... let you know this next summer...

mac 'cooled off' gyvr

I never had more overheating problems than when I ran a 160* t-stat. They suck IMHO.

Go 180* or go home :D

Bones :skull1:

well

if i still have problems....that will be the first thing i change out...

but remember i dont drive mine on the street either....

it has to stay cool on the trail, so we'll see....

mac '.040.....not intended' gyvr

Back