• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 89' cheep jeep build thread...

KentuckyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
alright well after getting rid of my 98' and being stuck on the pavement for a couple months looking for another rig i finally found me a new toy...

its an 89 xj
143,xxx miles
4.0 (has had a 96 zj motor swapped in)
auto
d-30 up front
d-35 out back
it has what i believe is a 5.5 rough country lift
full packs out back with 2 inch shackles, adj. lowers up front and stock uppers

i got it super cheep, she's rough around the edges but for what ive got into it im happy...
IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

ive got some good plans for it, but i dont plan on spending alot of money! but would like to make it into a really capable trail rig. i wont be doing any rock crawling mostly trails and mud around here

ive already done alot of work so ill try and catch ya up on pictures real quick!

ALL CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISISM IS WELCOME....if you just wanna bitch about stuff go somewhere else :thumbsup:

the first weekend of mods started with throwing some 100w offroad lights on the cowl, along with cutting the front fenders, bumper and ditching the flares....
IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

a couple flex posers...
IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

lol could use some help in the rear flex area....
IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

I see that you cut the inner fender, is that safe? I have never seen that done, but I really want to do it now as it does rub there occasionally.

I see that you cut the inner fender, is that safe? I have never seen that done, but I really want to do it now as it does rub there occasionally.
yea its spot welded like the rear so i did the cut and fold, did it on my 98' also and never had any problems, deffiinantly keeps from cutting the tires up

and yes the rears are now done, forgot to take pictures after i finished up :doh:

finally got my cobra 29 LTD mounted up....
IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

didnt have a dome light or anything so i mounted straight to the roof crossmember, haven't finished the wiring up yet

ok next up find a XJ D44 or a 29 spline 8.25.. remove the D35. shoot D35. install other axle. wheel happy.

just my 2 cents

im gunna go 8.8...i already have alot of 8.8 parts laying around because of my mustangs so im going to go that direction....

the d-35 will be hitting the scrap yard

Back