• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What jack do you carry around in your rig?

bigalpha

I know that Hi-Lifts are popular, and considered dangerous (I know, I know, let's not have that discussion again). What other jacks do you carry around in your rig?

i dont carry anything but a hi lift 48in extreme cast/steel jack. yes they can be really dangerous...if you dont use the tool properly! but i was thinking about getting a small bottle jack to use to straighten my tracbar/tierod/draglink etc... out on the trail

OEM. hopefully I'll test it to make sure it is tall enough to change a tire before I have a flat.

I cary OEM and a block of wood to make up the diffrence.

Don't get me wrong, I love my HiLift, but I've had the heep fall off of it too many times. I really want jack holes in my bumpers and on my rock rails. If all I have to do is change a flat, it's OEM bottle jack all the way.

I can change a 33" on perfectly flat hard packed ground with the OEM in my 98. Not by much though.

I wonder what would be a good jack to grab at the junkyard that would work better? Scissor or screw?

I have a bottle jack. Fits under the dana 44 nice and tall enough to change my 36's.

Just a hi-lift and some ratchet straps to keep the axles from drooping when I lift. ;) I'd like to get an exhaust jack though. Borrowed one from ARB once and it was an awesome tool, especially in snow. :)

I have the oem bottle jack works with my 34's. I also carry around a scissor jack, its usefull in certain situations. Both fit under the rear seat along with other stuff.

I have an old OEM Ford jack, I suppose it's a screw type. It has ~6"x8" base and extends to nearly three times it's retracted hieght. It has an adjustable threaded pad on top as well as a hook on the side for the bumper.

EDIT: HiLift is in the rig most of the time as well.

oem in both my rigs, has no problem with 35's on the big rig, never liked hi lifts, bottle jacks work best when needing to change a tire or shaft, especialy when you got long travel suspention

I have an old OEM Ford jack, I suppose it's a screw type. It has ~6"x8" base and extends to nearly three times it's retracted hieght. It has an adjustable threaded pad on top as well as a hook on the side for the bumper.

EDIT: HiLift is in the rig most of the time as well.

That sounds pretty snazzy. Where'd ya get it from?

I use the bottle jack.

me too!!!!
MPW-18858

...but haven't tested the jack to see if it'd even get the tires off the ground.

Nope, I got a flat on the freeway and only had the oem bottle jack. It sucked, I ended up using like 5 of my text books to get the tire high enough to get it off. Now I'm the happy owner of a 48" high lift jack.

Last edited:
Back