• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you carry?

navyblue123

NAXJA Forum User
Wanting to put together a stock pile of spare parts to take with me on trails. What are some parts recommended to take with me for my 98 xj?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanting to put together a stock pile of spare parts to take with me on trails. What are some parts recommended to take with me for my 98 xj?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doing regular basic maintenance will help eliminate most of the little shit you see folks having issues with a 20 year old rig on trail...I see folks with old dry rotted hoses and original radiators and just a bunch of shit that never should have been left in service that long, and if you're going off road you need to keep up on those things because you can't bring all of NAPA along with you on the trail . If your rig is basically stock and busted drivetrain parts aren't so likely as they would be on a rig with stock axles and 35s then things like extra fluids and a basic tool set and full size spare are pretty good... you also never go alone so if you need something exotic you can get a ride to the parts store or a tug off trail.

-CPS and TPS
-full fuse assortment from the power module under the hood
-serpentine belt
-decent flat repair kit
-tube of ultra blue gasket sealer
-One unit bearing and outter shaft at a minimum, best is to carry a complete right and left axle set up with unit bearings on them.
-two or 3 u-joints, 297 & 260 are the common ones, I believe a '98 will only need 297 for front axles and all on the drive shafts.
-a full stock steering linkage set up and track bar, or spares for the ends of your custom steering and track bar.
-spares of the rod ends and/or bushings for custom suspension links

Those are what I can think of right off the top of my head......

Every tool to work on the suggested parts and all of the above are good.

Jumpers
Ample amounts of all fluids, you need these. And method to put them where they need to go. Funnel or the like.

Axle shafts and a method to contain diff fluid.

Spare tire

The MacGyver reference is good because you should have some basic stuff, ties, tape, wire, para chord is huge... yada yada yada

Food,water/filtering,fire starting, saw. Knife. Gear for bad weather, shovel, air comp, jack

I know you asked for parts, but expect more to be needed if you find your self in need on the trail. You can bring anything, but if you can't put it on......

Most of the local 4x4 trails are only a mile or so long and not far from parts stores , so basic tools...a spare tire...some fluids...and keeping good maintenance on your vehicle should be plenty as you... do not belong... on any of the 4x4 trails without at least 1 other rig with you . Anytime we have a rig need more than basic parts we make a parts run in one of the running rigs ... you should always be In a group so you should never be "stranded "

I carry spare shaft assemblies for both sides of the D30, a spare 8.25 shaft, a spare driveshaft that can be used front or rear, spare u-joints, spare heims to cover all of my steering, spare tire, plug kit, serpentine belt, drain pan, funnel, shop towels, hand cleaner, assortment of fuses, electrical tape, roll of 16 gauge wire, and good assortment of tools. Mainly just a nice husky tool kit in its container plus assorted pliers, crescent wrenches, pry bar, breaker bar, and a few specific sockets for the unit bearing nut and bolts.

That stuff along with my recovery gear should get me back to the trailer or trail head no problem. Like George mentioned, always go with at least 1 other rig. That way even if you have to leave the Jeep behind to get parts you have a ride home.

so for you d30 axle breakers, is the long axle the usual one to fail? not sure why but for some reason i have in mind the long one is the problem child. or maybe i was huffing paint. i cant recall .

It’s the u-joint that typically goes and in the process takes out the ears on the shafts. That being said running a front locker and 35’s on bead locks I’ve only broken 1 front shaft and that was going backwards up a steep muddy hill.

Don't know why you guys have problems with the u-joints on your front axle I've never broke a u-joints on my Cherokees front axle... oh yeah that's right you've only got half a Dana;-)

Back