• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 over heated .....

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
.....and now it do not shift properly. All upshifts are normal and so are down shifts between "OD" 4 and 3. Shifting into 1 and 2 after about 15 minutes in the city that is the problem. It has new oil, clean oil strainer and an external oil cooler.
When at a stop I have to manually shift into the 1/2 position to get the AW4 into 1st. after that all upshifts are normal until I come to a stop again or I need 2nd gear to come up to speed quickly. I down shifts into 3rd an no more unless I manually shift it.
Funny thing, I could stop turn the engine off and leave the vehicle for upto 15 minutes. On return start the engine back out then shift into “D” and it stays in 3rd until I manually shift it into the 1 2 position.
The oil cooler lines are hot to the touch more so than the radiator/engine. The oil did not show signs of burnt clutches or broken parts and the XJ runs good except the downshift into 2 and 1. I do not know if disconnecting the TCM will prove anything except that it will not go into 4 gear and or OD.
I could use all the help I could get to fix this problem before it becomes expensive.
TIA.

Back