• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trip advice please

RedMaineXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a bucket list item that I'll be completing this coming spring . I will be taking the trusty XJ on a solo trip across the country, from Maine to the west coast. I need to do this on a very tight budget. I have the time off because my nonprofit employer has a "break" around May til around August or September.
Any input/recommendations /assistance would be greatly appreciated from anyone!

Calculate approx. cost of fuel, have ideas of where you want to go/sights you want to see. If camping is your thing, bring some gear and find cheap/free locations. Find some Naxja peeps that are near/where you want to go for potential place to stay, wheeling etc.

I have met a lot of good people from here. Unfortunately, most of them are not on here much.

I you come to the Central Coast of CA, I'll buy you a beer.

Calculate approx. cost of fuel, have ideas of where you want to go/sights you want to see. If camping is your thing, bring some gear and find cheap/free locations. Find some Naxja peeps that are near/where you want to go for potential place to stay, wheeling etc.

I have met a lot of good people from here. Unfortunately, most of them are not on here much.

I you come to the Central Coast of CA, I'll buy you a beer.

Thanks, working on most of that now. I'll be sleeping in the back of the jeep, tall man in a short rig :cool:

Got a AAA membership? Swing by your local AAA store and see about getting the guidebooks and maps for the states you plan to pass through - Free to members.

I did that in 2008 when I went to Moab for the NAXJA XJ 25th, the guidebooks came in handy when I was looking for places to stop each night.

As to the truck, make sure you're caught up on maintenance before you set out, check the usual stuff (ball joints, TREs, Track Bar, etc...) to try and head off problems.

What route are you taking, having done a few cross country trips I might be able to suggest campsites that are free or cheap.

Interstate 70....40? Route 66?

Back