• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

California Trail Map

Greenspan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Has anyone purchased California Trail Map? https://www.californiatrailmap.com/ What do you think? $25 for a year of updates, $35 for lifetime. Seems kinda steep nowadays with Google and the internet, but it looks like a really good/accurate solution to give you info about the trails out there and the type of land your on. I'd like to get some input from people before pulling the trigger.

Thanks

I'd love to look at it if you buy it, most everything I always need is on google, etc. as you mentioned. I am however curious if there are roads shown that are unavailable elsewhere....not curious enough to spend $20 though.

I'm experimenting with gaia GPS right now. For hunting I have a gaming Rhino 650, but I frequent 3 states and it's $100 a chip for each state and needs updated for proper boundaries.

Gaia works on my cell, and if you download sections of map where you plan on being it works without cell signal. Still learning it, but may be worth looking into. I just went out on a little hike and it shows elevation, elevation gain, etc and you can plan routes. So far I just have to $20 a year one
96074a5d39090370785cafa349d2d806.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been getting by with Backcountry Navigator PRO and downloaded Google Maps for just driving around.

What looks cool about California Trail Map is it looks like it has good information on the type of Land you are on. I like to explore for places to go shooting and fly drones; both of which are very restricted to specific land types. It is very hard to get this information from Google Maps or Back Nav.

BackgroundLegend.png

It also looks like it has some info on the conditions of the road (e.g. Rough, Minor, Major dirt roads) which would be a good data point to have before hand in planning the trip.

Probably will give it a shot if nothing else, but I just wanted to check to see if anyone else had any experience with it.

Has anyone purchased California Trail Map? https://www.californiatrailmap.com/ What do you think? $25 for a year of updates, $35 for lifetime. Seems kinda steep nowadays with Google and the internet, but it looks like a really good/accurate solution to give you info about the trails out there and the type of land your on. I'd like to get some input from people before pulling the trigger.

Thanks
I've been using it for years on android with locus maps. Has updates regularly. I like it. I use it for shooting areas. Really good for places like Glamis or Ocotillo to find hills or destinations as they are all marked. Also stays pretty current with any locked gates in Big Bear or Main divide. Also lists hiking and MTB trails Wish it had trail ratings though.

Thanks
I've been using it for years on android with locus maps. Has updates regularly. I like it. I use it for shooting areas. Really good for places like Glamis or Ocotillo to find hills or destinations as they are all marked. Also stays pretty current with any locked gates in Big Bear or Main divide. Also lists hiking and MTB trails Wish it had trail ratings though.

Good to know, thanks for the info. Yeah I wasn't sure if it was still being updated, looks like a kinda old website and it looks like it's just one dude, good to know it's still being updated. I think I'll pull the trigger and give it a try

I've been using California Trail Maps since at least 2014 when it was called San Diego Trail maps. Excellent product. I've only had one issue, with one part of a map that wouldn't load. Of course it was the area I was headed to the next day. I emailed the author in the evening, who had the problem diagnosed and fixed in a couple of hours. Try that with a large corporation. It is the main reason I keep using Garmin. I mainly use the hiking trails on a handheld, and they are highly accurate. They do load on an auto GPS too, but I'm not as fond of Garmin's auto GPS units. That's a Garmin issue though, not the maps. Well worth the cost.

Gaia GPS is amazing. I even found a spur on 2N49 that was lost to the forest until a USGS TOPO layer showed it and we hiked it out. This year were going to open it back up.
b9110f7f52843f644b42d9ca723af031.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Gaia GPS is amazing. I even found a spur on 2N49 that was lost to the forest until a USGS TOPO layer showed it and we hiked it out. This year were going to open it back up.
b9110f7f52843f644b42d9ca723af031.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Tight squeeze!

I wonder if that's the spur we did some tree removal on a few years ago? From the topo, the terrain certainly looks similar.

David Bricker / SYR

I wonder if that's the spur we did some tree removal on a few years ago? From the topo, the terrain certainly looks similar.

David Bricker / SYR
No, that's still clear.

Back