• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP PLEASE....nothing happening lol

quadzilla38024

NAXJA Forum User
hello... I hope someone can give me and a few friends some advice...I just picked up , a cpl of weeks ago a 1997 xj...everything has been fine but...the other day I went out to start it up and nothing would work...I tried to move the shifter handle but at the time that did not work either...I started looking at fuses...relays...then I tried the shifter thing again...like the neutral safty switch....then I pulled it out of park just a bit, it would crank over but I was not gettin fire to the fuel pump I also am not gettin fire to the spark plugs....I have checked relays, fuses, and a cpl of my mechanic friends have also gone behind me and checked all that too...will the neutral safty switch stop any current from going to the power supply box ?.....oh....I also went ahead and put in a new crank pos, sensor I thought it might be cutting off everything, but .... I was wrong lol if anyone can help me figure this out I would be very happy....I am wanting to go to summertown this friday-sun to go wheeling with a bunch of friends:cheers:

what does "nothing would work" mean? When you tutn the key what happens? Does the starter turn over, do you hear a click, or nothing? With the key in the "on" position do you have power to accesories?

hi... the motor will turn over just fine, but the fuel gauge does not come up and there is no fire at the spark plus and the fuel pump is not getting any fire to it also...this all seemed to start from the nuetral safty switch... at first when I had tried to start it the other day when I turned the key nothing would happen at all...so I turned on the headlights then tried to start it and the headlights stayed real bright...cause at first I just thought it might be the battery....I then tried to move the shifter handle a bit but that did nothing either.....so I started to check fuses and relays....all seemed fine... so I thought I would try to move the shifter handle again, thought maybe the NSS would be bad, well I moved the shifter just right and it did start turning over but it would not start....I did however notice when I was checking the fuse box or the power contole box on the pass, side in the motor comp...I had my test light grounded on the neg, side of the battery post and all of well most of the fuses would turn on the test light, but the #10 fuse whitch is a 20 amp fuse ...says it is for the shutdown or something ..dont have my book in front of me...well that fuse would not get hot ...or turn on the light.... but I switched my wire for the test light to the pos side of the battery and then it would light up my test light....but that means it is grounding out somewhere .... doesent it ?

I am having a similar problem with my 93 cherokee sport...Battery is good, it cranks over good.... But no start.. NO voltage to ign resistor, coil, or distributor.... I'm thinking the eng control module (BRAIN) or could it be a failure of the oxygen sensor?.... This is my first go on this site and I don't have a clue what I am doing? Don't know or understand what all the click-on's do. Not sure what to click, Are there some page I can go to to explain how everything works here.

Last edited:
from the reading I have done ....It seems like several things can all work off of the same circut...like oil pressure switch, crank poss sensor, cam poss sensor, fuel pump relay...there are a crapload of things that I guess can cause the break in the circut so nothing will come on for the motor to start

Mine also has a "Auto Shut Down" Wouldn't that be a switch on the oil pressure system or overheating, never had an overheat problem and it should reset after cool down.

I had an xj a cpl of years ago that would just shut down on me once in a while...I replaced the crank poss sensore ...and it worked fine....but I just have not been able to figure this one out yet....I was wondering if the neutral safety switch is bad , will it cause the system to not get any power to the computer controle box.....? if so maybe that is why It wont get any fire to let the motor fire up....even the fuel pump is not getting current to be able to work

I am real interested in this thread and would like to hear more replies. I had another interesting NO START situation winter of 2003 that turned out to be "Cylinder Washout" A compression test said 0 in all 6 cylinders. 4.0 eng. Found a really simply cure for that, brought all cylinders back up to par with a process of squirting 10-40 oil in the clyinders, putting the spark plugs back in, turning eng over 3 or 4 strokes, check compression, repeat process a couple more times until compression checks good then replace wires and it should fire right up. It worked for me.

To test your theroy and bypass the NSS...disconnect the connector where the NSS plugs into the wiring harness. On the harness side of the plug on the lower row, you want to connect the pins in the center. I have found this is easily done with a flat female wire connector. It is just the right size to fit over both pins and connect them....Easy job-give it a try and report back.

jess...thank you for the info...I took the jeep over to another mechanic friend of mine today...I will ask him tomorrow if he will try that...he is a very meticulious non stop kind of guy lol.... I will let you know the results....thanks again

Back