• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rolled XJ, Now what

Jerm S.

NAXJA Forum User
Well i rolled my xj yesterday on the wy home from a trip to see my family in southern Id. if you want to know more on what happened see the non tech fourm. I'm posting now to get oppinions on what to do now. it rolled over i think twice. but i'm not sure. any way the roof isn't in all that bad of shape but i think that the doors are not going to open. I haven't taken a real good look at it yet. My questions are like this. If i decide that it will be easier to take the top off than to fix the damage, what would you guys make your cage out of. and what general type of store would you get it from. when topping an xj, where would you make the cut at the front how far back behind the wind sheild would you go. and is the sheet metal that makes the roof actualy structrual or can you leave the door pillars and the part of them that goes across the roof in tact and still not compensate the integrity of the rig.

Thanks for any help

Jerm S.

If you cut the top, any part of the top, you must add structure back in..trust me....I now know this! Look at Beezil's, OneTon's and someone else's :) rig for ideas. Roll cages for a chop top are a custom thing, find a shop to do it FIRST, before cutting, it may cost more than you think if you cannot do it yourself.
Jerm....glad you are OK and thank your dad for letting us know. I was one of the guys to recommed a chopt top....but after hearing about the ripped off front axle, I would recommend you get it checked for frame straightness before doing anything. Chop tops require a solid structure, and a comprimised frame will not help you at all.

Good Luck,
Rev

Check with Rocklogic4x4.com................they are great guys and will give you honest opinions. 3250ish south 1100 East

Back