• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 clutch noise after new clutch kit installed.

Jumpnj

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve searched the web and here but am not certain with what I’ve found. So I just had a whole new LUK clutch kit installed on my 96 xj 4.0 with 203k miles. Before install and at its worst it made an annoying grinding/whirring sound right at the shifter/tranny Area with the clutch in or out. It started off with just the noise while foot off the clutch and would disappear when I went to push clutch pedal in and put it into gear. Then recently it made noises in or out of neutral. Got a new throwout and pilot bearing with clutch and flywheel. All brand new from LUK. After all bolted up, Fire it up and the noise is still there, although much more timid but nonetheless still there and would go away as I pushed the clutch pedal in as to put it in gear. Can’t really tell if the noise is there while driving but definitely while in neutral.

Came across a thread on TJs and it seemed like a very similar situation and that it could very well be the slave not doing its job. My clutch feeling doesn’t feel as firm as I’d like it. Is this the culprit or is there something else I should look for? I owned a 92 with an AX15 as well and had 240k on it and didn’t make any noises in the tranny and a very firm clutch pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you resurface the flywheel? Ideally the factory says you should not do that since the slave has a limited throw and no adjustment.

Just asked. Don't think that should cause the problem you are having but you never know.

Back