• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When O2 sensors are dead tey are really dead...

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
Just got the box from RockAuto with four brand new O2 sensors today.

I decided to change them all because they all appeared erratic and lazy when I looked at them in real time with my Torque app.

I installed the two upstream sensors.

The front upstream works fine and has a nice wave pattern as opposed to the old one.

The rear upstream they sent me was flat line, nadda, DRT (Dead Right There) with NFH (No Freaking Hope).

I've never monkeyed around with O2 sensors before and was shocked at how quick you start getting codes and rough idle. Random misfires, lean conditions, cylinder four misfire, cylinder five misfire... I suppose it makes sense since fuel trim is based in large part on information from the sensors.

Called Rockauto and they are shipping out a new sensor in the morning. I put the old sensor back in, lazy is better than dead (at least in sensors, not so much in people) and cleared the codes.

These are the NTK sensors. Anyone had issues with them? I searched and searched and they seem to be the choice for these engines. The factory ones I pulled out were NTK as well

Crap!!! Can't edit the title. YES I know how to spell THEY.

the downstream sensors (post cat) do not switch like the upstream sensors, they should have a gradual curve to them depending on engine load/rpm

I was getting ready to order some NTK O2 sensors from Rockauto this week for my '01 XJ as well...

Strange that new O2 sensors would be bad right out of the box. It's nice you're able to test them and diagnose the issues.

Where the part #s 23506 (Upstream O2) and 23099 (Downstream O2) ?? Those are the ones I'm thinking I need to order.

the downstream sensors (post cat) do not switch like the upstream sensors, they should have a gradual curve to them depending on engine load/rpm

Depending on engine speed/load they will switch like the upstream ones, maybe a bit slower though.

Back