• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilding an AX-15?

woodbutcher

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone rebuilt their AX-15 themselves?
is it that involved of a job?
mine is stuck in 5th gear it is a 91 2wd need it running while I gather the parts for the 4wd change.
Sean

I rebuilt mine due to badly worn synchros. The bearings, seals & brass kit was $180 and took me a long afternoon to do. I managed without one, but a bearing press amost a necessity to pressing gears and bearings. If you're stuck in 5th, you may have more damage such as a bent shift fork which would add to the cost.

Of course, you could just split the case and diagnose the stuck gear problem instead of doing a full rebuild. Might be something simple and worst case you could run without 5th gear.

can that be checked without pulling it out?
Or does it need to be removed ?
I thought about not having 5th but if the fork is broken then reverse is on the same rail isn't it?
Where did you get your parts?
Sean

It's been awhile and this is from memory. Fifth and reverse share the same shift rail, but have seperate shift forks. As I recall, the fifth gear cluster is on the back side of the intermediate plate. I suppose you could pull the back section off with it in the vehicle, but it would probably be less work to pull the tranny entirely and look at it on the bench.

Back