• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's Do Some Wheelin!

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
It seems like everyone is still building (Andy, Phil, Sean, Billy... who else...) and not wheelin. Sure there's a 'Con trip planned for next weekend, but I'm planning on wheelin about a trail a week until mid-august when I go back to Michigan. I'm just working odd jobs this summer, so I'm up for mid-week wheelin too. I went through Fordyce last weekend, and no one wanted to join me. I'll probably go into Little Sluice and back on the 'Con tomorrow...

So who's junk is ready to wheel, and reasonably capable (33s+, lockers, etc)? Does anyone else have availablity mid-week?

Most my trips will be to Fordyce or Rubicon, but I want to go check out Moonrocks as well (Reno), and any other fun trails people have been on.

even if you're just going for a day to mess around at Folsom, Red Dog/Greenhorn, etc let me know and I'll probably be up for it. PM me here or cell: 5306133076

P1010027.jpg

My junk's been ready but I've been really busy with work. No way to take off during the week as I'm building a sushi bar. :rolleyes:
My junk is not capable though.
122633480uLITMx_ph.jpg

BrettM said:
It seems like everyone is still building (Andy, Phil, Sean, Billy... who else...) and not wheelin. Sure there's a 'Con trip planned for next weekend, but I'm planning on wheelin about a trail a week until mid-august when I go back to Michigan. I'm just working odd jobs this summer, so I'm up for mid-week wheelin too. I went through Fordyce last weekend, and no one wanted to join me. I'll probably go into Little Sluice and back on the 'Con tomorrow...

So who's junk is ready to wheel, and reasonably capable (33s+, lockers, etc)? Does anyone else have availablity mid-week?

Most my trips will be to Fordyce or Rubicon, but I want to go check out Moonrocks as well (Reno), and any other fun trails people have been on.

even if you're just going for a day to mess around at Folsom, Red Dog/Greenhorn, etc let me know and I'll probably be up for it. PM me here or cell: 5306133076

P1010027.jpg

I'm barely going to miss the 'Con trip, but I was hoping somebody would be planning something during the following weeks...
I GOTTA GET OUT!!!!
After a little testin' at Prarie City, I should be ready for anything nearby.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
I'm barely going to miss the 'Con trip, but I was hoping somebody would be planning something during the following weeks...
I GOTTA GET OUT!!!!
After a little testin' at Prarie City, I should be ready for anything nearby.
Billy
after reading this, I think I'll be avoiding Prarie City, be careful: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256972

I'm gonna be gone June 20-26, but besides that I have no major plans yet for the rest of the summer. Are you ever available mid-week Billy?

BrettM said:
after reading this, I think I'll be avoiding Prarie City, be careful: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256972

I'm gonna be gone June 20-26, but besides that I have no major plans yet for the rest of the summer. Are you ever available mid-week Billy?

Yeah, I read that, but what else is nearby to test sh!t out? I know a place up by Folsom, but I heard the owner's not too keen on ppl wheelin' on his land anymore.
I'm not going to be able to get out mid-week for quite a while unfortunatly.
Billy

Folsom lake at Rattlesnake Bar. It's totally open, legal land. And there's Red Dog/Greenhorn in Grass Valley. There's also some fun little trails around the railroad tracks between Newcastle and Auburn ('course I was on 31s last time I was there). If you want to check any out let me know and I can show you where they are and do a little wheelin also.

Greenhorn:
greenhorn.jpg

Folsom:
folsom.jpg

BrettM said:
Folsom lake at Rattlesnake Bar. It's totally open, legal land. And there's Red Dog/Greenhorn in Grass Valley. There's also some fun little trails around the railroad tracks between Newcastle and Auburn ('course I was on 31s last time I was there). If you want to check any out let me know and I can show you where they are and do a little wheelin also.

Greenhorn:
greenhorn.jpg

Folsom:
folsom.jpg

Yeah, rattlesnake bar is real close to me, but I don't think I've been where you're talking about. I'd totally be up for going out there for a good test run. Where do you stay (location wise) when you're in NorCal Brett?
Billy

I'd like to go with you some weekend soon after the Rubicon run next weekend. I'm hooking up my rock lights, finishing preping the body for the Durabak, finishing up my hood vents, try to hook up arb tomorrow and part of Sunday. I wired the ignition wire red/yellow wire up to the battery directly like you suggested and got some sparks and almost started a fire. I just held a wire that went to my battery to the ignition wire and got a few sparks and then the wires started to glow and smoke. I quickly got them apart. I don't know what the heck is up with the wiring, but I got the dash apart so I'm looking for a wire that I can splice into that is active when the ignition is turned on. I'd like to do Fordyce for a day trip and also Red Dog. Is Red Dog the river banks area around Grass Valley? I was up there with a 4 X 4 club a while back and did good with my 95' zj on 3" lift and 31's.
Troy

Brett, I would really like to wheel with you before you head back to MI. Beleive me, this whole weekend will be filled with cutting, drilling, grinding and welding (not necessarily in that order). My chit is nearing completion.

If anybody wants to be put to work on Sat, call me 798-1013. I have a pretty short list of things to do.

SeanP

Hmmm, I think I'm gonna go up to Greenhorn and mess around tomorrow morning, maybe see if I can find Justin (HTeK). Then I gotta go grab a couple things at Pick N Pull, then maybe I'll round out the afternoon/evening helping out Sean. Sean; I'll put your number in my cell and probably give you a call late afternoon when I'm in the Rocklin area, but you didn't say if it's 530 or 916, oh well I'll try both. I posted my cell number above. I'll at least swing by and bring you an XJ pitman that you said you were looking for in that other thread.

Billy, I'm still living at my parent's home for summer/christmas breaks (just turned 20) which is halfway between Auburn and Grass Valley.

Troy, Red Dog Rd. (aka Greenhorn creek) is a riverbed area that most stockers can handle (the county road actually goes right through the creek, no bridge, gotta love Nevada County), but there are tons of more difficult trails heading up into the hills around the riverbed, and even some decent rockcrawling. For your ARB, there should be empty spots of your fusebox that say "ACC" and "IGN" and "BATT", plug that line into the IGN spot, or even the ACC.

BrettM said:
Hmmm, I think I'm gonna go up to Greenhorn and mess around tomorrow morning, maybe see if I can find Justin (HTeK). Then I gotta go grab a couple things at Pick N Pull, then maybe I'll round out the afternoon/evening helping out Sean. Sean; I'll put your number in my cell and probably give you a call late afternoon when I'm in the Rocklin area, but you didn't say if it's 530 or 916, oh well I'll try both. I posted my cell number above. I'll at least swing by and bring you an XJ pitman that you said you were looking for in that other thread.

Billy, I'm still living at my parent's home for summer/christmas breaks (just turned 20) which is halfway between Auburn and Grass Valley.

Troy, Red Dog Rd. (aka Greenhorn creek) is a riverbed area that most stockers can handle (the county road actually goes right through the creek, no bridge, gotta love Nevada County), but there are tons of more difficult trails heading up into the hills around the riverbed, and even some decent rockcrawling. For your ARB, there should be empty spots of your fusebox that say "ACC" and "IGN" and "BATT", plug that line into the IGN spot, or even the ACC.

Thanks Brett. It was pretty weird being able to start a fire so easy by connecting the ARB ignition wire to the battery directly. I'll work on getting by ignition wire hooked up to the IGN spot and hopefully that will do the trick. I sure hope so. If not, I'll let you know I might need your help then if you are available. Heah, did you get your push button shifting thing to work yet? I have my whole lower panel out to get to wires so this would be a good time for me to work on getting the "1-2" & torque converter lockup conversion done as well. Did U use diodes for your connections? I saw them suggested in the writeup on BigOffroad but I wasn't sure how to hook them up. Do you just stick the diode wire in 1 side of the wire and then connect the other side of the diode to your other wire. I wasn't able to see what side goes in and what goes out, or prevents a current from going in? Anyways I'm working on getting the Durabak on but have to finish sanding the body, masking, rock light install etc I will definately hook up with you in the weeks to come. I don't want to do these big trails alone either and like going with xj/mj guys too because we drive the same vehicles know there pros and cons and also have like parts.
The Red Dog area is pretty fun, it really gives you a large variety of trails too mess around in from very easy to harder. I was just in the river bed area and went up a few creeks with my 95' grand cherokee when I went with the Boonie Bouncers club last year. They were surprised at would a very mildly built (3" lift & 31" at's) could do. I should up quite a few Wranglers that day. It was fun, I saw more trails heading off in other directions so I would like to explore these soon. Also I have a trail book with 150 Nor Cal trails from easy to hard, maybe we can try a few of those as well this summer? Quite a few are in your area up there in Grass Valley/Auburn.
Troy

steinjeep said:
Thanks Brett. It was pretty weird being able to start a fire so easy by connecting the ARB ignition wire to the battery directly. I'll work on getting by ignition wire hooked up to the IGN spot and hopefully that will do the trick. I sure hope so. If not, I'll let you know I might need your help then if you are available. Heah, did you get your push button shifting thing to work yet? I have my whole lower panel out to get to wires so this would be a good time for me to work on getting the "1-2" & torque converter lockup conversion done as well. Did U use diodes for your connections? I saw them suggested in the writeup on BigOffroad but I wasn't sure how to hook them up. Do you just stick the diode wire in 1 side of the wire and then connect the other side of the diode to your other wire. I wasn't able to see what side goes in and what goes out, or prevents a current from going in? Anyways I'm working on getting the Durabak on but have to finish sanding the body, masking, rock light install etc I will definately hook up with you in the weeks to come. I don't want to do these big trails alone either and like going with xj/mj guys too because we drive the same vehicles know there pros and cons and also have like parts.
The Red Dog area is pretty fun, it really gives you a large variety of trails too mess around in from very easy to harder. I was just in the river bed area and went up a few creeks with my 95' grand cherokee when I went with the Boonie Bouncers club last year. They were surprised at would a very mildly built (3" lift & 31" at's) could do. I should up quite a few Wranglers that day. It was fun, I saw more trails heading off in other directions so I would like to explore these soon. Also I have a trail book with 150 Nor Cal trails from easy to hard, maybe we can try a few of those as well this summer? Quite a few are in your area up there in Grass Valley/Auburn.
Troy

?? dude u expect some one to read all this??? calm down we arn't writing a freckin novel here!!

stoney

Jes said:
My junk's been ready but I've been really busy with work. No way to take off during the week as I'm building a sushi bar. :rolleyes:
My junk is not capable though.
122633480uLITMx_ph.jpg

Hey, who's the dude in the blue sweatshirt?

:D :D

SeanP said:
Brett, I would really like to wheel with you before you head back to MI. Beleive me, this whole weekend will be filled with cutting, drilling, grinding and welding (not necessarily in that order). My chit is nearing completion.

If anybody wants to be put to work on Sat, call me 798-1013. I have a pretty short list of things to do.

SeanP

Sean, I can't believe you can find anything else to do on your rig, what's on your short list?

Well, come to think of it, I can believe it.........mine has been out regularly and I still have a fairly long list of stuff to do. It never ends.........

:)

Goatman said:
Sean, I can't believe you can find anything else to do on your rig, what's on your short list?

Well, come to think of it, I can believe it.........mine has been out regularly and I still have a fairly long list of stuff to do. It never ends.........

:)

One of the last things was welding in the spacers that Mark Hinkley sent that tie the frame rail sheet metal together at the steering box. I had plated the rail two years ago but didn't do this. I also did some of the last tube work on the cage adding in some triagulation. Just down to getting the interior back together and some limiting straps/bumpstops and it's done (for this summer)

Sean

Stoney said:
?? dude u expect some one to read all this??? calm down we arn't writing a freckin novel here!!

stoney
So what your saying is "You had me at hello."

Sorry but Stoney is right I can't read that much.

Back