• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget stroker

robert stalberger

NAXJA Forum User
I know this subject has been talked about plentyful, believe me I've checked every thread on it and pretty much every other link also. I thought i blew my head gasket last weekend going down the highway, but after pulling the head i found 3 of my pistons had half dollar size holes in them, ya. I'm pulling the engine tomorrow and have a line on a machine shop to do my cylinder and head work. I'm boring .030 over and want to build a stroker. I'm in the military and have a new born, and as much of you probably know, funds are pretty low now. I'm looking for someone that can give me a complete parts list at minimum damage to the wallet. I've checked all the stroker kits out there and they're a little too high priced. I'm hoping i can get most of the stuff from a local parts dealer (kragen, pepboys, etc...). I'm rebuilding the whole lower end and don't really know of everything i need. This is my first engine to break down this far and I'm looking forward to the expierience, but not the cost. So if anyone has a good "cheap", and i mean real cheap, recipe for me, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not very computer familiar and the stroker group at yahoo has a pretty confusing web site, for me anyway. Again, i appreciate any info. i can get and appologise for asking on the same subject as many others.

Last edited:
http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/photo3.html

Dino is on here as "Dr. Dyno" but you'll mostly find him on the Street & Performance Forum.

Given a general lack of funds and a newborn, I'm going to recommend to you that you NOT try to build a stroker. The budget strokers seem to always require a bunch of fiddling and fine-tuning after they are up and (sort of) running. That's fine if it's a project vehicle or a trail machine that can sit around until it's right, but if you need a reliable vehicle for transportation, I think you'll do much better to just do a decent rebuild on the stock engine.

This isn't an everyday driver, pretty much strictly offroad. I would never imagine jeoperdizing my sons well being by spending money wrecklessly. I have about 2 months to get this done and I think it would be plenty of time. I appreciate the info., I think I've already checked this out, but I'm going to take a better look at it. Thanks again.

Where can I find the Sealed Power H802CP pistons?

In the link mentioned above, for the 4.6 budget stroker it says I need a ported HO 1.91"/1.50" head. Can I use my non-HO head after it gets back from being rebuilt, or do I need to buy a new head and get it ported?

The less money you throw at a stroker, the longer it's going to take. I'm sure I'm going to sound like a killjoy, but I really think you are making a mistake.

Bob Salemi built a budget stroker. It's now in his XJ and running well. It took him 18 months. You want to do it in 2?

Well, I have about $1000 after the all the machine work and I'm doing it all myself with a couple of guys that know quite a bit about putting together a motor. I'd still like to know where to get the pistons and if I need to get the HO head.

Last edited:
Good luck finding those pistons right now. I tried to no avail..supposedly not many in North America right now.

Go with the H677CP. Ther the same piston dimension wise with the same moly coating but aren't hypereutectic. They also have the same 15.8cc dish volume which is larger than the stock pistons so it helps keep your compression down.

Federal Mogul is a major parts supplier and they supply sealed power stuff..as well as comp cams.

On a side note...I just finished a stroker which sounds exactly like what you're trying to do.

I used a base 1989 4.0L non-HO engine.
Crank and rods from a 1986 4.2 with the "short" snout for the serpentine belt.
H677CP pistons
Comp Cams 68-231-4 camshaft with matching lifters.
Mopar performance springs, retainers, and locks
Milled head .010"
Zero block deck
0.030" cylinder overbore.
24# Ford injectors from Accel
Adjustable MAP sensor

Now, I had the head lightly polished...so any funny casting marks removed but was mostly to scaveng as much displacement as possible to keep compression down.

I currently have about $1600 into this engine which includes ALL parts..including the 1989 4.0L motor. I've only had it on the road for about a week so I'm still in the "break in" period so I'm not totally sure on the final results or if high octane gas will be required for everyday use. I'm using high octane gas right now just in case, until it is broken in...then I'll start trying lower.

PM me if you want updates on the break in.

That being said....all engine rebuilds are slightly different so unless you have a little extra $$$ and time "just in case" I would probably shy away from the low buck option as was stated above.

Last edited:
I have a set of H802CP Pistons. They are brand new. I was going to build a budget stroker but then I had a baby. I am an E-5 so money is tight too. I will sell them to you for $150.00 + shipping, which should be about $20.00. Let me know by email if you want them.

robert stalberger said:
I know this subject has been talked about plentyful, believe me I've checked every thread on it and pretty much every other link also. I thought i blew my head gasket last weekend going down the highway, but after pulling the head i found 3 of my pistons had half dollar size holes in them, ya. I'm pulling the engine tomorrow and have a line on a machine shop to do my cylinder and head work. I'm boring .030 over and want to build a stroker. I'm in the military and have a new born, and as much of you probably know, funds are pretty low now. I'm looking for someone that can give me a complete parts list at minimum damage to the wallet. I've checked all the stroker kits out there and they're a little too high priced. I'm hoping i can get most of the stuff from a local parts dealer (kragen, pepboys, etc...). I'm rebuilding the whole lower end and don't really know of everything i need. This is my first engine to break down this far and I'm looking forward to the expierience, but not the cost. So if anyone has a good "cheap", and i mean real cheap, recipe for me, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not very computer familiar and the stroker group at yahoo has a pretty confusing web site, for me anyway. Again, i appreciate any info. i can get and appologise for asking on the same subject as many others.

I'm building a 4.6L stroker myself so you can follow my example. Go to my stroker website to find out what I'm doing. Mine is going to be a very low buck stroker (hopefully). Total cost of parts and machining should be under $1500, so I'll nickname it the El Cheapo Dino stroker ;). Yours should cost even less because you'll be using your own block and yes, you can use your non-HO head as well. Like Bender, I'm also using el cheapo Sealed Power 677P cast pistons. You should be able to find a 258 crank & rods from a junkyard or from e-bay for little more than beer money.
Good luck.
4.6L stroker (under construction)
- Websites -
Jeep 4.0 performance, 4.6L stroker build-up
- Tech Webpages -
CTS resistor trick, Dual electric fans, IAT sensor relocation, Intake manifold heatshield, MAP adjuster, Oil temp. gauge install
- Info Pages -
Automotive formulae, Jeep 4.0 cam specs, Jeep engine dyno graphs

dmtjeep said:
I have a set of H802CP Pistons. They are brand new. I was going to build a budget stroker but then I had a baby. I am an E-5 so money is tight too. I will sell them to you for $150.00 + shipping, which should be about $20.00. Let me know by email if you want them.

Do you still have the pistons? I have custom forged pistons in my stroker now $$$. I am thinking of building another one for my cj and need to do it cheap. What size are they?

green rust said:
Do you still have the pistons? I have custom forged pistons in my stroker now $$$. I am thinking of building another one for my cj and need to do it cheap. What size are they?

Since he's military in Vista, CA, I bet Robert is a Marine, that and it says "Recon" under his avatar. Don't take parts out from under the Marine before he's gotten to choose! :twak:

Maybe I'm just fed up with people offering parts to someone, and before they reply to the offer, someone else jumps in and wants to get the parts. And the offer was only posted like three hours ago.

I appreciate it Phil, I completely agree with you.

Back