• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 XJ MUST GO WILL NOT PASS EMISSIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Located in Forestville, MD (near DC)

MUST BE GONE THIS WEEK

NO PLATES. NEED TRAILER

will meet you and sign over title any time except tomorrow morning (need to take a friend to MD appt. in Baltimore) Jeep is stuck at my friend's shop in Forestville that caught on fire and now he's selling.

Jeep has 130K miles give or take. 4.0/AW4/NP231/D35/D30 3.55:1

factory skids, new rear springs and shackles, OK Falken Wildpeak tires on steelies. Runs and drives great

Bad: Hail damage, rust around windshield (Safelite ****ed me a few years ago) and the reason it won't pass emissions, ECM blew up and every replacement has been looking for an evap pump that isn't there.

Show up with more cash than scrap value and a trailer.

PM for phone number/address

(also posted to SEC as I guess I'm right on the line)

Again same boat...too far away or I'd be there Friday evening.

Did you get rid of it?

Yes, sadly. New owner wanted shop cleaned out and gave me an insulting offer, but not as insulting as the local junkyard. Kind of sad about this, esp. since the replacement isn't as nice. Still waiting for the check... @#$%@#$%@

No emissions inspection where I live in VA either. I just saw this. I would have made the trip to get it, not that far from me.

They do have emissions where I am, but another thing to bear in mind is that the state safety inspection will fail you if your check engine light is on, and I'm pretty sure they require the safety inspection everywhere in VA.

Sorry for your loss N8N.

They do have emissions where I am, but another thing to bear in mind is that the state safety inspection will fail you if your check engine light is on, and I'm pretty sure they require the safety inspection everywhere in VA.

Sorry for your loss N8N.

We have the VA state safety inspection here but they will not fail an older vehicle for a CEL. Dealerships will fail them, just to get the money. Small shops clear the code and pass the vehicle unless the owner wants it fixed.

We have the VA state safety inspection here but they will not fail an older vehicle for a CEL. Dealerships will fail them, just to get the money. Small shops clear the code and pass the vehicle unless the owner wants it fixed.

Well I'll be... I just read the VA State Inspection Manual and you're right, no where does it dictate that vehicles with a CEL should be failed. In fact it only refers to indicator lights in reference to seatbelts, brakes and emergency brakes.

I've had shops (not dealers) say theyd fail a vehicle if the CEL was on. I'll have to challenge them next time around. Maybe I'll print a copy of the inspection manual and bring it with me. My wife's 11-year old vehicle is always a fun challenge to get inspected.

Thanks for the clarification!

Finally some good news... Dropped the "new" one off at another shop.

Bad: xfer case is hosed. Which we kinda suspected. It's a 242 so I couldn't swap from the "old" Heep.

Good: somehow they managed to find me a 80K mile used 242 for a price so low that my bill will probably be less than I got for the old Heep... either I got a serious buddy deal (I'm also pretty friendly with the owner of this shop as well) or else whoever's calling around for parts is a freakin' miracle worker. Either way I'll take it!

Finally some good news... Dropped the "new" one off at another shop.

Bad: xfer case is hosed. Which we kinda suspected. It's a 242 so I couldn't swap from the "old" Heep.

Good: somehow they managed to find me a 80K mile used 242 for a price so low that my bill will probably be less than I got for the old Heep... either I got a serious buddy deal (I'm also pretty friendly with the owner of this shop as well) or else whoever's calling around for parts is a freakin' miracle worker. Either way I'll take it!

Man, I hate seeing people getting taken advantage of.

Your 231 or 242 that was in the OLD Jeep would have bolted right into the new Jeep.

Either way, to trash a vehicle because of a CEL just blows my mind. Thank god I don't live in some retarded state with dumb rules.

I don't really feel "taken advantage of" - I honestly did not investigate the possibility of swapping TCs because a) by the time we got to the point where we had eliminated driveshafts, mounts, U-joints, etc. my friend's shop had already burned and b) I wanted to keep the XJ I was keeping as a 242, and didn't know if I even had all the parts to make it happen (the "old" one was AW4/231/D35; the "new" one is AW4/242/C8.25, so I wasn't sure if any driveshaft I had would work as AW4/231/C8.25) c) I wanted to keep "old" heep driveable so I could theoretically sell it as a runner.

As of right now I swapped most of the "goodies" off the "old" jeep save for the heated outside mirrors that I'd added, so I'll be keeping an eye out for those. It does suck that I'd already had a lot of the "old" jeep apart and now any time I need to work on something I'll be busting old rusty fasteners again, but such is life.

You're taken advantage of by stupid emission regulations.

If you don't count tossing a vehicle in the trash for no good reason as being taken advantage of then I suppose you're good to go.

Last edited:
You're taken advantage of my stupid emission regulations.

If you don't count tossing a vehicle in the trash for no good reason as being taken advantage of then I suppose you're good to go.

Wow, so a guy is put in a tough spot, the law telling him he can't use the vehicle, so he resorts to the only option he has, having to give up his jeep and you think its a good idea to give him a hard time? What's he supposed to do, just up and move to a different state, because thats just so easy to do...

If you're not going to provide constructive or useful feedback keep your negative opinions to yourself, this is NOT JU or P4x4.

Wow, so a guy is put in a tough spot, the law telling him he can't use the vehicle, so he resorts to the only option he has, having to give up his jeep and you think its a good idea to give him a hard time? What's he supposed to do, just up and move to a different state, because thats just so easy to do...

If you're not going to provide constructive or useful feedback keep your negative opinions to yourself, this is NOT JU or P4x4.

I'm not giving him a hard time. I'm not sure where you fished that idea from.

Emission regulations prevent him from having a vehicle on the road. He writes it off as scrap. If that's good enough for him then good for him. It would not be acceptable to me. The Jeep itself is worth thousands in parts. I'm not one for throwing a vehicle in the trash then turning around and spending hundreds on getting the replacement on the road. Maybe I'm just too cheap to waste the money like that.

Your idea of constructive criticism is to pat him on the back and console him for his loss? Why not suggest ways to prevent the loss? He's spending money on a transfer case that he didn't have to spend in the first place because he had one that was a direct swap.

How hard is a CEL to fix? Not very.

You shouldn't be on the internet if you don't want negative opinions. If you can't handle the truth, don't read it.

I'm not giving him a hard time. I'm not sure where you fished that idea from.

Emission regulations prevent him from having a vehicle on the road. He writes it off as scrap. If that's good enough for him then good for him. It would not be acceptable to me. The Jeep itself is worth thousands in parts. I'm not one for throwing a vehicle in the trash then turning around and spending hundreds on getting the replacement on the road. Maybe I'm just too cheap to waste the money like that.

Your idea of constructive criticism is to pat him on the back and console him for his loss? Why not suggest ways to prevent the loss? He's spending money on a transfer case that he didn't have to spend in the first place because he had one that was a direct swap.

How hard is a CEL to fix? Not very.

You shouldn't be on the internet if you don't want negative opinions. If you can't handle the truth, don't read it.

I have no problem with people being negative on the internet, but NAXJA has never been a place for that, and that is my stance. I disagree with your approach to the situation and while I respect your opinion, I also feel that espousing it after the fact is not helpful. Suggesting solutions to a situation that has already past a decision point would not rectify his situation.

I agree that there were alternate options, and parting it out may have been one. I would also assume that you have the means and capacity to do so yourself, but not everyone lives in a spacious lot in the country where they can part out a vehicle without neighbors complaining as they would here in the DC metro area.

If you'd like to continue this discussion feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to respond, but I don't wish to disgrace these forums any further with an "internet" disagreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back