• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How did you do it (yes there are pictures)

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
PICT7088.jpg

PICT7089.jpg

Trying to remve the harmonic balancer on a 99XJ.

As you can see from the pictures, even if you remove the bumper, you wont be able to push straight on the HB bolt, because the frame is in a way of the bolt of the puller. The frame holes are off, there arent any in front of the HB. I can see how this could be easily done if the puller bolt (the black one) were shorter.

I know many of you have done it without taking off the bumper. Where did you get the puller from and was its bolt that long? How did you do it? Whats wrong with my setup? At this point I dont see any point in removing the bumper...

Thanks in advance

Boris

I helped a friend with his... the puller we used was no where near as big as the one you have. I believe ours was a simple two bolt - bar type puller with a way shorter force bolt to push against the crank. It took all of about 30 minutes to replace his harmonic balancer...

I use a steering wheel puller, actually an el cheapo. If I explode it, it really isn't much of a loss, but it seems to keep on working even after substantial abuse.
I've done it both ways, with and without the bumper. It was a lot easier with the bumper out of the way. More of an access and ease of alignment thing than actually necessary. I had to take the bumper off anyway to install my front tow hooks.

There are about a million different harmonic balancer pullers out there, many of them with much shorter main bolts. Get a different one, or do what Shorty suggested. Its not rocket surgery man, good luck with it.

~James

Back