• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Queen questions

Cox89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Questions on securing jeep to trailer.

Where do you tie on the front? Axle or winch bumper? I do have two shackles.
Where do you tie on the rear? Axle or class three hitch?
What type of binders, ratchet or leverage type?
How many binders? Two or four?
What size chain and binders 5/16 or 3/8?
Fixing to buy some binders. Need to know if I can get by with two or do I need four?
Thanks

Cox89XJ said:
Questions on securing jeep to trailer.

Where do you tie on the front? Axle or winch bumper? I do have two shackles.
Where do you tie on the rear? Axle or class three hitch?
What type of binders, ratchet or leverage type?
How many binders? Two or four?
What size chain and binders 5/16 or 3/8?
Fixing to buy some binders. Need to know if I can get by with two or do I need four?
Thanks
5 is what I use.
2 Front in a criss cross patern
2 Rear in a criss cross patern
1 over both axles to the trailer cross beams. Also known as a saftey.

I tie into my 5K fab from winch bumper in front.
The rear I tie into my rear bumper that is built for it.

I use ratchet straps and have nto had a problem yet.

Technically the DOT can ticket you if you are not tied down this way. However they usually leave us alone and go after the big trucks. The Military requires it when we transport there equipment.

My thoughts were.
If you tie to the bumper. While hitting bumps the Jeep springs will cause slack to come and go in the chain causing undue force on the chain and binders. If you tie to the axle you will only have to deal with the tires which is minimal.
I have plenty of 5/16 chain already, but no 3/8. I believe 5/16 is sufficient. All input will be considered.
Thanks.

If you use chain make sure you get good load binders.
I use 2 15,000Lb ratchet straps on each axle and one 15000lb ratchet strap on each bumper to take up the play in the suspension.

I believe this is the safest way to do it, I never could get chains tight enough.

How is this mod tech?

How is this mod tech?[/QUOTE]

It's not OEM and I don't consider it off topic, but I may be wrong.
Moderators can move it if they wish.
Do I need to forget the chain deal and go with ratcheting straps since I have not bought chain binders yet?

Cox89XJ said:
How is this mod tech?

It's not OEM and I don't consider it off topic, but I may be wrong.
Moderators can move it if they wish.
Do I need to forget the chain deal and go with ratcheting straps since I have not bought chain binders yet?[/QUOTE]
My suspension does nto cycle that is what you want to stop. You need to use ratchet straps or get the chains adn binders tight enough so it will not bounce. :shocked:

I use ratchet straps. I also have them on tight enough so the suspension does not bounce....

On my way to town I stopped by and talked with my X-boss, who is now retired. He used to haul his race cars around on the weekends. As you guys, (yall) He also suggested ratchet straps. So that’s what I did.. Picked up four 10,000 lbs. Rated ratchet straps.
Thanks guys.
Bruce

I use (7) 10K rachet straps.

Front: (1) the middle to the axle. (2) criss crossed from trailer corners to front bumper d-rings

Rear: (2) straight from trailer to the axle, (2) from corners of the trailer to hitch

havent lost the jeep yet
icon_smile.gif

chains in the front, over axle, most trailers have the X cutouts for them to retain them, then once its pushed forward as far as it will go you do the same with the rear, the rear though gets the tensioners, it will pull the slack, if any out of the front and lock it down solid. If you have a big lift and no swaybars, big tires you might want to use a couple of ratchet straps across the vehicle to keep it from flopping around on it's suspension..

I have always put two chains on the rear axle and then pulled it foward with 2 straps to the front axle. I have never been able to tie the body without the straps loosening

Over the axle with chains and binders, I put chains over the rear then drive forward to take up slack, then use binders on the front.

Ratchet straps can come loose when subjected to rough terrain like gravel roads.

Its probably overkill but I use 2 chains on rear bumper, 2 chains on front bumper with binders. Then a ratchet strap over each axle. Its a rock solid setup.

Bryan

I ended up using the four rachet straps with two chains and binders. One chain and binder are around each axle. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Thanks for the input guys. edit:Forgot to reset date on camera.
Bruce
100_0098.jpg

100_0097.jpg

Cox89XJ said:

Dont know that I would trust the safety chain loops on the reciever hitch to tie the Jeep down. On just about every hitch I have seen the material there doesnt look thick enough to constantly hold a Jeep for transport. A d-ring in the reciever would be better but I still prefer straps over the axle. On the few occasions I have towed my XJ, its never moved with straps on the axles.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
Dont know that I would trust the safety chain loops on the reciever hitch to tie the Jeep down. On just about every hitch I have seen the material there doesnt look thick enough to constantly hold a Jeep for transport. A d-ring in the reciever would be better but I still prefer straps over the axle. On the few occasions I have towed my XJ, its never moved with straps on the axles.

AARON
Ditto.... That is dangrous... those metal tabs give and you have an xj in the bed of your truck.... not good. I'll have to snap a pict next time I trailer mine somewhere.... Oh yea and where are the front straps tied to?

I’ll get a receiver hitch shackle. The front straps are hooked into the trailer channel behind the ball hitch, whatever it’s called. The chain binders and other straps are hooked into channel welded to the trailer.

Sorry but I don't like where you have those hooked up. Front or rear. You have alot of strap to use so I would wrap the hook end over the axle and back to the trailer. That way both hooks are on the trailer and the strap is holding down the jeep. Do the same for the front but put the hooks on the outside rail of the trailer not by the ball. You need more pull down on the front than what you have. Try again and post some pics.

Kim.

this is how i mount mine
213DSC00123-med.JPG

crossed front and back is there anything else to help? No problems just asking. It work to and from Telico from NJ and 4 trips to Paragon in PA
909IMG_0216-med.jpg

Back