• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will other year 4.0's work in 2000 Cherokee?

nicpaige

NAXJA Forum User
I was hoping to purchase another 4.0 engine to rebuild into a stroker over this winter and then when complete drop it into my 2000 Cherokee. Mine runs fine right now and I would like to keep it in service over the winter. Im wondering what year engines from what model car will bolt in and have all accessories bolt up,etc. I thought I read that the 2000-01 cherokee engines were oddballs as far as motor mounts and head/manifolds? Thanks for any replies. :us:

Any 1990-2001 XJ Cherokee or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

If your 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler 1997-06 or WJ Grand Cherokee 1999-04.

So im thinking of buying a 93 xj for the motor and tranny to put in my 96. I know they are both HO motors but the 93 is OBD-1. Will the long block work in my OBD-2 rig?

Back