• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DOS attack

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Interesting, we are undergoing a DOS attack, what a PIA....

?

del *.* /s

or denial of service?

What site?

Did you piss off the north Koreans?

anti smokers

BINGO, from Amsterdam, told my coworker he should have called that chick the next day before he left Rotterdam.... :D :D :D :D

Shhhhhht here we go again

Not DDOS? Just one node then? Weak.
Billy

Day two, looks like 14K machines, FBI got called in so we will see what happens. What a hero this looser is, result of this puss licker's efforts, 50 workers sent home early from the warehouse and shipping. We'll see what the fancy hardware they brought in will do, apparently it also took down a couple of hospitals.

DOS as in the old, pre-windows operating system?
Denial of Service or distributed denial of service. Basically some puss licker out on the net uses a bunch of infected PC's as machines that send out continuous traffic to either an IP address or domain server. They get enough going to fill your wide area connection, in my case 4 T-1's. They overflow the pipe and no other traffic can get in our out. I moved my web server to a second class A that we have and as soon as the domain change propagated it started all over.
Did that twice, finally put a block up on the downstream router in philly and sent all traffic to /dev/null that was pointed at the webserver, that left all the rest up. It really ticks me off, now I gotta play catch up on CNN, NAXJA and a dozen other sites. :D :D :D

You gotta send a lot of data to overwhelm 4 T1 connections...
Any idea for a motive, or just random malice?

There's plenty of random malice around, at least you were able to work around it, or had the resources to.
I have numerous eastern European and Asian entire ip ranges listed in .htaccess just for this kind of junk. I am at the point where if I find one ip from a provider over there sending me crap, they all go.

There's plenty of random malice around, at least you were able to work around it, or had the resources to.
I have numerous eastern European and Asian entire ip ranges listed in .htaccess just for this kind of junk. I am at the point where if I find one ip from a provider over there sending me crap, they all go.

If you are using cisco let me know, got some suggestions, bottom line we were brining in verisign to set up a gre tunnel from my edge router to their 'scrubbers' and directing DNS to that scrubber, $60K for one year. Once our ISP found out about it they suddenly had the same thing available, imagine that.....
As far as 4 T-1's, that still small to me, I'm more used to DS's and OC up to 128 as 'normal' :D :D :D for that matter bellcore ran a T-1 to my house back in 90 and I had to get an insurance rider on my home policy to cover the IBM Rs6000 with a gig of memory, my wife still comments about that noisy end table I had next to the couch :D :D :D
Oh well.

No Cisco, this is for a small club website, pretty simple stuff. Making it a little more difficult just sends them someplace easier to screw with.... But it is a neat idea, lots of cash though. Funny how co-operative your isp got when they heard...
And you're right 4 t-1's really isn't all that much......as far as that noisy end table....so what?

Back