• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local place to buy latch for swingout? PA

Backroads

NAXJA Forum User
So my latch, after getting really stiff over winter, snapped on me the other day, luckily while I was closing it and not while cruising down the road! Its the toggle pull style, Its a JCR bumper.
Its pretty much like this http://www.destaco.com/img/prod/331.jpg

The catch is, I'm supposed to take a trip to harrisburg this weekend, I dont think I can get this mailed in time for that...And I dont know if I trust bungee cords for anything like that!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks andy, of course they dont stock this item....Now the problem is matching up the bolt patterns and bla bla. Guess I'll attempt to contact JCR and get a part number so I'm not redrilling anything.

I have a De-staco model 334 latch that I bought for an old project but never used. I'm in Hanover in York County if your interested. Let me know. Sent you a PM with phone #.

EMSoffroad.com has them and they are located in PA, I think they in Danville, PA. They have a store on Ebay also where I bought my latch for around $40 if I remember correctly.

I ordered a stainless d-sta-co from amazon for around $30 after shipping. I just took my tire off and bungied the swingout down for now haha. Thanks for the tip though.

I don't know how I missed this thread last week... I was here everyday all last week...
anyway...
Every time I need somthing that I can't get locally (which is most of the crap I need when building a bumper or swingout...)
http://www.drillspot.com/tag/latch-clamp/
Drill spot does a lot of drop shipping.
so last time I ordered clamps. they came in 2 days from grainger.
and I think, based on the picture if I had seen this post i might have been able to save you about 10 bucks too :-/ sorry man...

Well I actually got the one I ordered in the mail today. Of course it wasnt a 'bolt up' affair....

The one JCR put on it was a de sta co # 344 Mild steel (for whatever their reasoning is..)

So I ordered de sta co #344S for stainless steel!

And its completely friggin different OR JCR modifies the latch when they build the bumpers....Ill post pics later, I didnt intend on having to fabricate on the latch to make it close tight and hold.

Got it all fitted up and thought I'd post up my results for future reference.

The latch is de sta co #344.
Heres how it compared to my old broken latch
DSC02427.jpg

with the piece cut off, which of course happened to be the rivet, but once its bolted down its just a solid as before
DSC02428.jpg

here you can see why it needed 'trimmed' with that bump out where the rivet was, the latch wouldnt close far enough to be tight, with a little vibration it seemed like it would pop open with ease. The way it is now it snaps shut and feels very secure. Next time I would just get a latch designed for this kind of setup instead of modifying it, but it is what it is!
DSC02429.jpg

always looks funny and huge in pics, its a 32" tire
DSC02430.jpg

yea jcr....I have a few other bones to pick but when I emailed with my feedback after I got the bumper....I got no response...so since I'm sick and in a shitty mood, guess I'll rant...

...your exactly right, the latch is welded wrong for that style clamp, works fine once hacked up!
...the cb antenna mount, is RIGHT in the way when you swing the carrier out, and open the hatch, I have to keep a hand there and bend the antenna out of the way.
...the tie in plates for the frame rails were not even CLOSE to being welded straight and didnt line up for crap. /end rant

Back