• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how long to change out u joints on double cardan

toates89

NAXJA Forum User
i am rushing to finish up my tranny and get everything back together and might not have the time to change the u joints on the double cardan.

i was thinking about leaving the driveshaft out and then changing it when i get down there.

bad idea?

You can run without it... Should help fuel mpg a little too

they are regular 1310 u joints.

the only odd bit is the centering ypoke.

Take it apart over a white paper towele or something to catch the needle bearings that will fall out. You need them all. Use grease to hold them in the centering yoke during reassembly.

This is presuming that you've not bought a new yoke kit.

Not a bad idea but be sure you give yourself enough time to get the joints changed before we start the drivers meeting at 9am.

What day are you arriving?

Not a bad idea but be sure you give yourself enough time to get the joints changed before we start the drivers meeting at 9am.

What day are you arriving?

with a balljoint press it could be done in an hour or two, assuming it all comes apart OK.

it's a jeep though, so assume it's going to be a cluster.

I have a spare cardon joint; I'll bring it if you need it for parts... The joint is good, just missing the shaft part

I grabbed a bunch of front driveshafts that will be in my trailer. I also have a workbench and 3 in 1 in the trailer.

I will bring a vise but unknown if I will get it bolted down to the workbench today.

mac 'about to get groceries' gyvr

Well guys things took a turn for the worst.

the combination of a storm that just rolled in is stopping me from finishing putting in the tranny plus i got called into work.

On the positive side i bought a bunch of stuff for the jeep so the next event will take alot less prep.

I am going to miss that raffle pretty bad.

Bummer!

I'd say this question can now be answered by Nick, Tim, Mark, and Glenn after this weekend.

I'd say this question can now be answered by Nick, Tim, Mark, and Glenn after this weekend.

Haha! With a ball joint press and an extra pair of hands, sitting in camp chairs, 30-45 minutes? Obviously some centering balls turn out to be a pita.

Mark and i need to rebuild some driveshafts and now he can sho me how.

Good thing mac brought those extra driveshafts for spare parts.

Mark said he had never done a double cardan before. By the end of the evening, he'd done two!

First time I ever rebuilt one it was with the socket and hammer method. The ball joint tool kit is definitely the way to go. Cuts the amount of time and the amount of swearing in half!

Mark said he had never done a double cardan before. By the end of the evening, he'd done two!

First time I ever rebuilt one it was with the socket and hammer method. The ball joint tool kit is definitely the way to go. Cuts the amount of time and the amount of swearing in half!

x2

Back